Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
45612278

I have a Kohler Rialto toilet and Im trying to replace the

I have a Kohler Rialto toilet and I'm trying to replace the toilet seat. The setup is very strange: there is no access to the nuts for the screws that secure the seat to the toilet: the underside is all enclosed inside the unit. I can't get the screws out--they just keep turning and turning, no matter how much upward pressure I put on the underside of the screwhead (thinking it would lock the nut against the underside of the toilet). Even more worrisome: if and when I finally DO get the damn thing off, how do I put on a new one, given that there's no access to the place where the nuts would be?? What were they thinking?? Any advice? Thanks so much!

Mike the plumber :

Hello I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Mike the plumber :

Since this is a one piece toilet they made a push in insert that the bolt screws into

Mike the plumber :

Poor design on their part

Mike the plumber :

If the bolts will not unscrew you will have to cut the head off of the bolt, and let the insert fall inside. Then you will have to get a new kit from Kohler to install a new seat

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Really? The replacement part has a weird-looking nut thing (it looks a little like a butterfly nut). I would also think that, if there's a threaded insert, the screw should unscrew pretty easily.

Mike the plumber :

The insert must be turning inside the hole. Do you have the model number for you toilet. It should be inside the tank, or under the lid

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Sure: it's K3386D

Mike the plumber :

give me just a second to look up your exact model

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

great--appreciate your help. this is seriously lame on their part

Mike the plumber :

I agree

Mike the plumber :

From what I'm seeing it looks like there are two inserts that go into the bowl that the bolts will screw down into

Mike the plumber :

Part number 84999

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Hmmm...that's not what's in the replacement pack in the toilet seat. Do i now have to call Kohler to get that, too?

Mike the plumber :

Take a look at the pdf. file above and see if that's the same model you have

Mike the plumber :

Page 11

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

yup--that looks like it. but look on the next page. see where they show the hardware for seat installation for the K-3386 (for the K-4463 toilet seat)? that's what's in the package with the new toilet seat--nuts, not inserts. You think I have to call Kohler to order them separately? If so, what's with the nuts?

Mike the plumber :

Those nuts are what comes standard with all toilet seats. They will only work with a standard two piece toilet that you have access to the bottom of though

Mike the plumber :

All the Kohler one piece toilets I've ever worked on require a push in insert for the seats. Because you have no access to the underside to install the nuts

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

that makes sense. i guess i gotta call kohler tomorrow. idiots. btw, my hacksaw won't fit in that tiny space--I guess I also gotta buy a special hacksaw, too, huh?

Mike the plumber :

Do you have a dremel tool?

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

oh, yeah--that's a great idea. thanks very much--i think you nailed it. now to flame kohler on amazon for this...

Mike the plumber :

Go get em!

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

hey, thanks, mike! this is a great service--glad i found it. take care!

Mike the plumber :

They make a great product, but some of their engineering is questionable