Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
45612278

I need help with the Kohler toilet seat replacement

I have a Kohler Rialto toilet and I'm trying to replace the toilet seat. The setup is very strange: there is no access to the nuts for the screws that secure the seat to the toilet. The underside is all enclosed inside the unit. I can't get the screws out--they just keep turning and turning, no matter how much upward pressure I put on the underside of the screw head (thinking it would lock the nut against the underside of the toilet). Even more worrisome, if and when I finally DO get the damn thing off, how do I put on a new one, given that there's no access to the place where the nuts would be?? What were they thinking?? Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Mike the plumber :

Hello

Since this is a one piece toilet, they made a push in insert that the bolt screws into

Poor design on their part

If the bolts will not unscrew you will have to cut the head off of the bolt, and let the insert fall inside. Then you will have to get a new kit from Kohler to install a new seat

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Really? The replacement part has a weird-looking nut thing (it looks a little like a butterfly nut). I would also think that, if there's a threaded insert, the screw should unscrew pretty easily.

Mike the plumber :

The insert must be turning inside the hole. Do you have the model number for you toilet. It should be inside the tank, or under the lid

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Sure: it's K3386D

Great--appreciate your help. This is seriously lame on their part
Mike the plumber :

I agree

From what I'm seeing it looks like there are two inserts that go into the bowl that the bolts will screw down into

Part number 84999

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Hmmm...that's not what's in the replacement pack in the toilet seat. Do I now have to call Kohler to get that, too?

Take a look at the pdf. file above and see if that's the same model you have

Page 11

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Yup--that looks like it, but look on the next page. See where they show the hardware for seat installation for the K-3386 (for the K-4463 toilet seat)? that's what's in the package with the new toilet seat--nuts, not inserts. You think I have to call Kohler to order them separately? If so, what's with the nuts?

Mike the plumber :

Those nuts are what comes standard with all toilet seats. They will only work with a standard two piece toilet that you have access to the bottom of though

All the Kohler one piece toilets I've ever worked on require a push in insert for the seats. Because you have no access to the underside to install the nuts

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

That makes sense. I guess I gotta call Kohler tomorrow. Idiots. BTW, my hacksaw won't fit in that tiny space--I guess I also gotta buy a special hacksaw, too, huh?

Mike the plumber :

Do you have a dremel tool?

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Oh, yeah--that's a great idea. Thanks very much--I think you nailed it. Now to flame Kohler on amazon for this...

Mike the plumber :

Go get em!

JACUSTOMER-d4o9ax5a- :

Hey, thanks! This is a great service--glad I found it. Take care!

Mike the plumber :

They make a great product, but some of their engineering is questionable