Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector

My kitchen faucet is very hard to swivel. It keeps binding

My kitchen faucet is very hard to swivel. It keeps binding up. It is one of those expensive ones that have the flexible extension.
This is the third time this has happened and we keep replacing the faucet. There must be a simple solution to this as the faucet works fine; it just won't swing back and forth.

Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to fully answer your question(s).

Can you tell me what brand and the model number please. I'd like to search for a parts breakdown and look at it to give you a better insight to what is happening and what can be done to repair/ maintain it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am at work now. I can try to find out that for you when I get home but unless it is somewhere on the faucet itself I won't know that.

The faucet is probably about 4 years old and I no longer have any of the paperwork or packaging.

I will get back to you later today.

Sounds good, if you have time look online a bit. You may be able to find out that way. Sounds like you have a "pull-out" type faucet.

Hopefully we will be able to disassemble it, clean it up and grease some O-rings so it will work properly. No more WD-40 though, that is bad for the seals okay.

Likely it is just getting gunked up, hard water deposites, causing this. But also could be that it is not properly fastened, thats why I'd like to see a breakdown of what you have then we can better determine whats going on.

About what time should I look for your next post? I am on Central time.

I wanted to resend this I see my spell check didn't kick in for my last post. So sorry!

Edited by Plmqwk on 1/14/2011 at 2:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am on EDT. I will get back to you about 3:30 or so?
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The faucet is a Delta. I am trying to send a picture

Hi Judy,

I cannot open your picture. Can you give me the model number you see and I will open it on the delta website.

Sorry the website doesn't allow that and also xxxx's out your email during these posts. I'll be right back with you.

take a look here and see if your find your series. we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model: 470-WE-DST

It looks like this one

The above video (though your faucet is different) will guide you on how to do what you need to access and clean your faucet so that it works properly.

This link will give you a parts breakdown to assist you as well.

The only difference you will need to do is unclip the hose fitting underneath the sink so that you can pull out your hand portion and hose together. then follow the steps of the video to disassemble the faucet.

If you need more info let me know!

Just to clarify, the goal is to remove the main body of the faucet (they call it a "hub"). then clean between all the parts. Buy some faucet grease at the hardware store (small tube couple dollars) and grease the O-ring(s). then re-assemble. you should be good then.