Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

water is running out of my water heaters overflow pipe. There

water is running out of my water heater's overflow pipe. There is a built in drain for the water to drain, but do I need to be concerned about this since it is 11 pm or is it okay to sleep and call a plumber tomorrow morning?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 3 years ago.

Hauserplb :

Hi! My suggestion is to shut off the water supply to the heater to mitigate the water lose. It will be a simple fix, you just need a new pop-off valve.

Customer :

should i shut off the water and the gas, or is shutting off the water enough? my wife will be getting up in 5 hours to go to work and will want to take a shower so I am simply trying to figure out what to do to make that possible.

Hauserplb :

If you shut off the water, there will be no hot water in the morning unless you turn the heater back on. (water I mean) Turning off the gas will mean no hot water period. If you want to reduce your water leakage, turn the water supply off, then turn it back on in the morning and turn it back off after your done using it. That is your best case senario.

Customer :

ok, thanks. I shut the water off and it stopped draining. Just to clarify though, I don't need to worry that it is building up too much pressure and is going to explode?!

Hauserplb :

Absolutely NO. The pop-of valve is designed to limit pressure. If it is leaking it will deff, not limit pressure build0up

Hauserplb :

I'm sorry I said that wrong...It will not allow pressure build up if it is leaking

Customer :

gotcha. just wanna make sure since the flame is still going strong. One last thing and I will leave you alone.....how much time before my wife takes a shower should I turn the water back on so that she has hot water?

Hauserplb :

The heater will function normally until you use it. I would turn it on 5 minutes before she uses it.

Customer :

awesome. thanks for your help, and for putting my mind at ease

Hauserplb :

no prob, simple fix when you get it done

Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience: Over 20 years experience. Third generation