Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector
47536969

How do I fix a Kohler San Martine toilet that is running ie

How do I fix a Kohler San Martine toilet that is running? ie stop from running/filling?

I need to fix this without buying parts since obviously it is Sunday and nothing is open.

Why is this taking so long? What is the charge really going to be?

What is happening is that the tank will not stop filling. I can feel the water coming in at the bottom of the float/fill mechanism but do not know how to adjust this. The water just keeps going down the overflow chute. A trouble shooting tip is to adjust the Phillips head screw on the top of the float but I do not see one. If I gently push the float down it does nothing.

How much more time is needed - is there anyone there?

Hello???????????????
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 5 years ago.

Near the top of the fill valve you should see a small lever (its attached to the float). if you gently pull up on it does the water stop running into the tank?

I meant to send this to you as an info request. I will assist you further when you respond to me. sorry you had to wait so long for a response from the site.

Edited by Plmqwk on 12/26/2010 at 1:11 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, now I figured out how to reply, I think. The lever that is attached to the float mechanism can only be pushed down toward the bottom of the tank. Also, the lever only seems to be attached to the float and does not appear to have any effect on the fill valve which seems to be the problem.
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 5 years ago.

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to see if it was stuck a bit. I am suspecting that your valve is defective thus unrepairable. They cost about twenty five bucks at any hardware store. It is a universal fill valve Brand name Fluidmaster 400A.

I see you are trying to get through the weekend though so lets try and see what we can do temporarily. Running vertically down from the end of that lever, do you have a thin metal rod or a plastic rod with what looks like some sort of track (or threads like a screw) on it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a thin metal rod extending vertically from the lever. There is no track but there is sort of a bracket that is attached to the actual float. However, pushing the float down by hand or pushing down the bracket and therefore the float does nothing to shut off the inflow of water. The water is flowing in near the base of the "tube" that extends from the top of the whole float assembly to the bottom of the tank. The inflow will not shut off. The thin metal rod does not attach to anything other than the lever and the float bracket.
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 5 years ago.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/kohlertoiletparts-sanmartine.html

here is a link to guide you the rest of the way.

looking at the fill valve kit (#1) and part #83451. you will access this by removing the dome shaped cap at the very top with a flat blade screw driver. don't worry about braeking it, it is purely decorative and is simply a non functioning cover.

Next, looking closely at the top you should be able to see that by turning the small lever gently the portion that it is attached to will rotate slightly (over some small clips) under neath the cover just removed. This will remove the lever and part #83143 will be able to be cleaned with a clothe and warm water.

Next place a small cup over this area and turn the water fill valve open a bit to flush out and debris.

Put back together and hopefully tis will work properly again.

If not the only thing you can do is replace the fill valve. In the meantime, you will need to shut your water valve on and off to stop the running water until you can replace it.

Edited by Plmqwk on 12/26/2010 at 2:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that about 40 minutes ago.
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 5 years ago.
see my updated post. i was working on it prior to your last reply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok - will try that. Thanks.
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 5 years ago.
Good luck, sorry this took so long for you today. Everyone else on the site early this AM may not have been familiar with your toilet. You asked about your cost for using the site. Only the amount of deposite you agreed to IF you feel I have helped you today. I hope the info I have shared with you will solve your issue, but your fill valve may be beyond repair, worth a shot to try though.