Pitsch Plumbing
Pitsch Plumbing, State Certified Plumbing Contractor
Experience:  25 years in the trade. new Construction, remodeling, repairs ect. Business owner. 2nd gen plumber
39094895

Hi. My water heater keeps going into vacation mode. And the

Customer Question

Hi. My water heater keeps going into vacation mode. And the pilot will not remain lit. Help we need hot water.....
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike the plumber replied 3 years ago.

Mike the plumber :

Hello I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Mike the plumber :

Sounds like the thermocoupling has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Not sure what you mean by going into vacation mode though. Most heaters have to manually be placed on vacation mode.

Mike the plumber :

Full Size Image

Customer :

ouch.. there is a steeing on the thermostat that allows you to set it in vacation mode. i lowers the temperature while you are away. Yes this one for some reason is going into that mode itself. when i try to set the temp/reset it the pilot lights. then goes off. It will do that a couple of times then the vacation mode light comes on then I can't do anything to set temp.

Mike the plumber :

The only other thing that can be causing the heater to got out is a lack of combustible oxygen. meaning the fresh air inlet is clogged and will have to be cleaned

Customer :

Mike the plumber :

is this a wter heater or a boiler?

Mike the plumber :

water

Mike the plumber :

sorry

Customer :

Water heater

Mike the plumber :

does it have a digtal thermostsat?

Mike the plumber :

or does it look like this?

Mike the plumber :

Full Size Image

Customer :

yes it has

Customer :

no thats not it

Mike the plumber :

ok I'm not familiar with that model.. let me opt out and get someone who knows more about those to help you

Mike the plumber :

it should just take a few minutes. Thanks, Mike

Customer :

thanks

Expert:  Pitsch Plumbing replied 3 years ago.
Does your heaters control have 6 or so lights? And a whiteish cover?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
6 lights
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
6 lights, a left and right arrow whiteish face. I can send you a photo if helpful
Yes. I need a few minutes. The model number, is that what the sticker/plate on the heater says for the heater?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that's the number on the side of the thermostat. I have a picture of the thermo i can forward you

Ok, Im sorry for the delay, got a nasty headache after dinner. What you have is the intellivent control. Here is the sequence of operation on the heater from service manual. What i need to know is how far the heater gets into the sequence

1>Field wiring correct?

2>Call for heat

3>is pressure switch proven within 5 seconds

4>Blower on

5>Is blower switch proven closed within 5 seconds

6>signal to ignitor

7>Ignitor warm up time

8>is flame sensed gurring trial (do the burners ignite?)

9>is flame sense maintained? (burners stay on)

Now I can tell you this, the flame sensors are very finiky on these models and chances are you will need to open the inner door and clean the flame rod with some steel wool or open mesh sand paper.

On this control Vacation mode siomple means the temp is approx 70 deg or lower.