Mark
Mark, Union Plumber
Experience:  32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management
48714917

I have a burnham boiler that is not working....it is giving

I have a burnham boiler that is not working....it is giving a "b26" soft error code.....any advice, other than placing a repair call tomorrow?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. Do you have a pilot light ? and if so is it lite? Does this model have an exhaust fan? Did you turn the thermostat up ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a Burnham Alpine. It does not have a pilot light that I can see. It sends exhaust out to the back of the house, although I can't see a fan.

When I turned off the heating from the thermostats, the boiler recovered from the "b26" soft error code, and heated the hot water heater.

But then, when I turned on the heating from the thermostats, it went back into the "b26" code. Again, I turned the thermostats off, and the boiler recovered.

Al
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
Al, A B26 error code indicates a defective supply sensor, a boiler safety limit or external limit wired across terminals 3&4, is open. other possible causes could be:
• Heating load at time of error was far below the minimum firing rate of the boiler
• Defective primary pump or no flow in primary loop (depending on how it's piped)

If this is a bit foreign to you, you might want to call a professional. The latter seems the most likely based on your description. Good luck and thanks for the opportunity to help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, Mark. Can you clarify for me what some of these terms mean? For example, what is the supply sensor, and what does it "sense"? What is a boiler safety limit, and what is an "external limit wired across terminals 3&4"? What is/are "terminals 3&4"?

I have a plumber here, but he has not narrowed in on the fix.

Al
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
It senses water temperature. Your boiler either has the boiler safety limit or is wired across terminals 3 and 4. Do you have a manual for the plumber you have there now? From your description, the pump to me is suspect.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So the plumber has the manual. He does not believe it is the pump.

The boiler keeps going through a cycle of "1-2-5" status codes. It has cycled through these codes continually. Burnham tech support is saying that after 5 cycles, the boiler should shut down....maybe that is what happened initially....but it is not shutting down, it just keeps cycling. The manual says that status 1 is "pre-purge or post-purge". Status 2 is "ignition". It is only in status 2 for a second or two. Status 5 is "Checking air pressure switch".

He has an electrician coming in to help. Any other ideas?

Al
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
Al, Without physically being there, I can't really make any other recommendations. If it's not the pump I would guess it's your boiler safety limit or your MCBA return sensor. If you have the manual, go to page 68 and that explains basically what I relayed to you already. Sorry I couldn't be further help but thanks for the opportunity.
Mark, Union Plumber
Experience: 32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you...you helpede understand things.

Al
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
Al, It's been a pleasure and I hope you get this thing figured out. Let me know if you ever need anything else.