Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, Plumber
Experience:  30 years on the tools

I have one radiator that will not heat up. I have taken it

I have one radiator that will not heat up. I have taken it off and flushed it out to clear any gunk. I then replaced it on the wall, filled it up and then blead it. I can feel a hot pipe under the thermostat but it is not going into the radiator.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rick here UK plumber, if you remove the thermostat head you will see a pin on the top of the valve, with a tool handle (screwdriver) can you push this pin down, it will move about 4 to 5 mm if it goes down does it come back up when released, if it does not go down you can try pulling it up with a pair of grips, and spray it with WD 40, when lifted up does the rad get hot now, Rick
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure how to remove the head off the thermostat, it is a DANFOSS and sits horizontal out the bottom right of radiator.
At the bottom of the stat is a silver knurled ring, just undo this, you may need a pair of grips, if the rad starts working then the head is bad, Rick
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have removed the head and the pin springs in and out with out any trouble. The radiator is still not warming up though !!
And the valve the other end is open yes? OK so now turn all other radiators off and just leave the one that does not work on, and if you have a hot water cylinder the turn the water heating off as well, hopefully you will hear some gurgling from the rad that is not heating and then it will start getting hot, let it heat for a while and then turn all the other rads back on, Rick
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This seems to be working. Will the radiator in question stay hot when the others are turned back on ?
That depends on whether there was air in the pipe under the floor stopping the rad working or if it is a balancing issue, balancing is just shutting the hot rads down and opening the cooler ones, Rick