Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

my Kohler toilet is not flusing correctly. No suction

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

You need to use a closet auger (a specialized snake for toilets)

Customer :

ok

Customer :

i have one

Rick the plumber :

Full Size Image

Rick the plumber :

Have you tried cranking it in both directions?

Customer :

i have one of these but cannot get it past the 180 turn and it is scratching the bowl

Customer :

yes, I have cranked it in each direction

Rick the plumber :

Have you pulled the handle all the way out so only the head of the auger is showing when you start to crank?

Customer :

I have put it in as far as I can with it in the sleeve. The problem is at the turn

Customer :

I don't know if that is the issue

Customer :

Is there some other reason that it would not be flushing

Rick the plumber :

If you can't get the auger through the bowl then there could be something caught in the bowl. You should be able to fully extend the auger all the way into the bowl

Customer :

it is in the bowl and goes up to the turn, but not any further

Rick the plumber :

Other than a blockage one other possible cause would be a venting problem

Customer :

I could pull the toliet out and go from other side but I dont want to do that unless I have no other choice

Customer :

this is a toilet that I have used for 2 years

Customer :

with no issues

Rick the plumber :

One other thing you can check is the siphon jet

Customer :

not sure how to check that

Rick the plumber :

This is the ~3/4" diameter hole in the bottom of the bowl below the water line

Customer :

checked it allready

Customer :

there are no obstructions

Rick the plumber :

Then you either have something caught in the bowl. I could write a book about all the strange stuff I've pulled out of toilets. Pulling the toilet off the floor is the next step

Rick the plumber :

If you can't clear it that way then something is lodged where you can't reach it or you cluold have a blocked vent

Customer :

that is what I thougt, but wanted to check to see if there was some other way

Rick the plumber :

do you have any more questions?

Customer :

how do I check the vent

Rick the plumber :

If this is not an old house the chances of a blocked vent are very low. Without knowledge of how plumbing systems are piped you can't check it. If your toilet drain is a branch off the main stack (vertical drain) then the chances are extremely low that it's a blocked vent

Customer :

all the other toilets are working so I agree that a blocked vent is unlikely

Rick the plumber :

anything else I can answer for you?

Customer :

I guess not, thanks

Rick the plumber :

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.