Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago

I have a GSW Superflue Hot Water Tank. The tank comes on and

I have a GSW Superflue Hot Water Tank. The tank comes on and the main burner is going full blast when it tries to shut off like it is not getting natural gas for a moment. It reacts like someone is trying to blow it out. Looks just like candles on a cake that are being blown out. There is a clicking sound from the Robershaw control valve when this happens. Eventually it goes out. When you reset it it will work for a period of time and then go out again. This has been going on for six months. I replaced the flame sensor rod but the same thing happens. Any thoughts on what I should try next?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional of 2 things , one the gas valve is bad not allowing the right amount of gas to flow , The gas valve should only be replaced by a certified professional to be safe. Second The heat exchanger it self sounds like it has a crack in it and causing your problem, during this you will hear a crackling sound and watch the flam struggle to stay lit. In this case the heater will need to be replaced there is not replacing the heat exchanger, only the hole heater. The average life span on a hot water tank is from 6-9 years and could be less depending on the water quality. If you look inside if you notice rust built up on the heat exchanger that is a clear indication.

Edited by Plumbing Pro on 12/1/2010 at 7:48 AM EST