Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
45612278

My downstairs toilet is draining slow and the sink in bathroom

My downstairs toilet is draining slow and the sink in bathroom makes a gurgling noise when the toilet is flushed. Upstairs toilet drains fine, and all other drains drain fine. I used Roebic in the toilet three times. This seemed to help some the first day. I am trying dumping boiling water down the bath drain. That did not seem to help.

I have a septic tank and there are no wet spots in the yard. It is leaking around the joint where the pvc pipe is joined to the cast iron pipe in the basement...slowly dripping and then stops. I have not checked the vent pipe on the roof.

I did not lift the clean out lid to look down into the septic tank. I had the tank pumped out in July of this year and no problems were noted then. This current problem has been going on for about a week now.

What do I do now?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike the plumber replied 3 years ago.

Mike the plumber :

Hello I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Customer :

Thanks Mike.

Mike the plumber :

Youre welcome

Mike the plumber :

give me a minute to read you question please

Mike the plumber :

Ok. Sounds to me like you have a partial main line blockage

Customer :

Can we fix it ourselves or do we need one of you guys?

Mike the plumber :

The leaking around the joint will happen when a line is clogged because the line is under pressure from the blockage

Customer :

Is it outside or inside?

Mike the plumber :

you could rent a sewer machine and clean the line yourself, but its a messy job and by the time you pay to rent the machine and spend the time doing it... you may be better off to call in a pro to take care of it for you

Mike the plumber :

you would probably have to pull the toilet and run the snake in from there

Mike the plumber :

unless you have a sewer cleanout with access to that part of the line

Customer :

There is a clean out in the basement

Mike the plumber :

have you opened it to see if the line is holding water?

Customer :

Not yet. We are waiting borrow tools tomorrow.

Mike the plumber :

ok. must warn you before you open it... it could be under pressure if the line is blocked....so when you do open it sewer may go everywhere

Customer :

yuck!

Mike the plumber :

like I said... may be a job for a pro who deals with these type situations everyday

Customer :

Neighbor mentioned vent stack may be partially plugged. We just had alot of leave fall

Customer :

How much does that usually cost?

Customer :

Just a rough estimate please

Mike the plumber :

A clogged vent could be an issue here, but i doubt it

Mike the plumber :

where do you live?

Customer :

cleveland ohio...septic system is 40 years old.

Customer :

my dad had one where the cast iron pipe to the system corroded completely shut. It was a mess.

Mike the plumber :

not sure what the going rate is there. should be a job that would take less then an hour since you have the clean out. So I would say an hours labor and possibly a sewer machine charge

Mike the plumber :

Your best bet would be to call around and get a few estimates over the phone

Customer :

is a company like roto rooter any good or would you suggest someone else

Mike the plumber :

I would recommend a smaller local company maybe a mom and pop type company

Mike the plumber :

i would even ask the neighbors who they use

Customer :

so you don't think it's any worse than that?

Customer :

we were worried about a collapsed line or something.

Mike the plumber :

i just had another expert who is close to where you live tell me the going rate in that area was around 140- 180

Mike the plumber :

the only way to determine if you had a collapsed line would be to video inspect the line

Customer :

i'm guessing that would cost a bunch.

Mike the plumber :

you said in your question where the pvc tied into the cast iron was leaking. where is the pvc going?

Mike the plumber :

camera is usually 200-300

Customer :

below the downstairs toilet to the cast

Mike the plumber :

and the cast is going out to the tank?

Customer :

toilet to plastic to cast to tank

Mike the plumber :

if you had an issue with the main for the entire house.... everything would be affected.

Customer :

there are two lines that go outside

Mike the plumber :

since its just this one bathroom giving you the problem, I think its just a partial line blockage

Mike the plumber :

keep in mind im operating in the dark here

Customer :

do you know why there would be two lines going outside?

Mike the plumber :

without being on scene i cant say for sure

Mike the plumber :

has the house been added on to?

Mike the plumber :

one line could be for sewer the other line could be for ground water

Mike the plumber :

do you have a floor drain or ground water sump in the basement?

Customer :

I know. I've used this site for several different issues in the past and you guys are all great. It gives us a direction to head in. You probably right on the second line, there is a sump pump.

Mike the plumber :

ok. then the second line is most likely for the sump

Customer :

Well, Mr. Mike you have been very helpful. Now all I have to do is convince my man that this is NOT a do-it-yourselfer...any advice on that front..LOL

Mike the plumber :

Im not gonna touch that one....LOL!

Customer :

You have a great night...I'm going to hit accept and call it a night. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Mike the plumber :

if he does decide to tackle it tell him to put on his scuba gear...lol

Mike the plumber :

Thank you so much for the question, and I hope all goes well for you

Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience: Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction