Todd
Todd, Plumber
Experience:  Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.
25342425

how do i fix a flotec shallow well pump pressure switch tubing

how do i fix a flotec shallow well pump pressure switch tubing that leaks where the tubing meets the pump inside the brass fitting?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Todd replied 3 years ago.

Todd :

Hello, I'm Todd I will glad to help with your problem.

Customer :

Thanks

Customer :

What are your thought regarding fixing this leak.

Todd :

Is this a plastic or copper tube?

Customer :

Plastic tubing going into a brass fitting with male threads going inot pump, not at the pressure switch but at the pump.

Todd :

Are you able to cut the plastic tubing at the nut , pull old plastic pipe out of the nut and reattach

Customer :

It appears that the tubing goes over a small nipple in the brass fitting, and then goes through/inside the brass fitting to make the seal. I can see the brass on the nipple where it looks as if th eblack small tubing has torn. I tried to pull the tubing off, but it is connected on the inside

Todd :

Ok this is a brass insert that slides into the pipe so the pipe does not collapse when you tighten it down, can you slice the plastic tube and remove this insert.

Customer :

Is the brass insert the same as the nipple? What pipe are you talking about, that won't collapse when i tighten the brass fitting in the pump?

Todd :

They install a brass insert into the end of the plastic tube, install the nut over the tube and then tight nut down on the fitting at the pump, so when you tighten the nut on the fitting of the pump, the plastic tubing will not collapse.

Customer :

Ok, so if i cut the tubing, will i be able to just push out the brass insert/nipple, and re-attach the tubing? Or will i be better off buying a full replacement tubing with brass fittings attached. It looks as if the seal of the insert is loose and that's where i have the leak.

Todd :

Most of these insert will come out and other will not . Your best bet would replace the complete tube, you fix this one and another may appear. You will need to get 1/4 plastic tubing or some1/4 copper pipe, and 2 - 1/4 compression nut and farrells. If you do use plastic you need to also purchase the brass insert.

Customer :

Do you know if flo-tech sells the tubing with attached brass fittings as a replacement part, if yes where?

Todd :

I know the ones that have seen are sold with the pressure switch for about $25.00 . Let me check on something here.

Customer :

OK I'll wait

Todd :

Do you have a menards home improvement store by you?

Customer :

No. just ace, home depot, lowes. My neighbor just came over and thinks he can use a copper tubing attachment. Just not sure how to atttach the tubing at the pressure switch b/c thatntubing goes inot a special brass fitting also. What do y9ou think about using the copper tubing.

Todd :

Yes you can , I did state that above.

Todd :

You just need to go to lowes or hd and purchase 2- 1/4 compression fittings , It would be 1/4 compression by 1/4 male iron pipe (mip) fitting, and these fittings will thread into the the pump and the pressure switch. You will have to remove the old fittings in the pump and the pressure switch. Then the copper will tighten into these fittings.

Customer :

Neighbor came over with old pressure switch and we cut off end to tubing and used his fitting to connect with pump and it looks like that will seal the deal. Thanks for your help! I'll probabably go with the copper tubing b/c his connection is plastic, and I dont know how long it will hold up

Todd :

Yes the copper will last longer. Thanks for using Just answer.

Todd, Plumber
Experience: Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.