Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago

I have a Kohler single handle shower/tub faucet. After replacing

I have a Kohler single handle shower/tub faucet. After replacing the cartridge and the mixer piece, I can't shut the water off. My shower set up does not have shut offs so it is hard to isolate the problem.
Any suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. When you assembled the cartridge you might of left the old rubber seats inside the valve so now its not allowing the cartridge to shut off. The best thing to do is to turn the water off , take the cartridge out and with the cartridge out turn the water on while its out, this will blow out anything that could be stuck in the valve like sediment, or mineral build up. Then Reassemble and see if that helps. Where did you buy the cartridge , make sure its a true Kohler genuine part and make sure its the exact same model , if its an off bran or different model it might be causing your problem.

Plumbers Protect the Nations Health, If you aren't 100% satisfied with my answer I would be happy to clarify for you.
Only when you feel I have answered your question to the best of my ability please click, Accept, or I don’t get credit for answering this question and I get no customer feed back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
+Okay, I took the cartridge and mixing valve out. Turned on water to blow out the plumbing behind the cartridge, tried to blow thru the cartridge and the mixing valve as well. Re-assembled cartridge nad mixing valve, attached the handle, turned on the water and...............and water still could not be turned off. Have you got another idea to try?
is the replacement part a Kohler genuine part and make sure its the exact same model , if its an off bran or different model it might be causing your problem. Sounds like you have the wrong replacement cartridge or missing something like the rubber seats .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The replacement Cartridge is a Kohler genuine part. All the packaging states Kohler. In fact the As far as I can tell, it is identical to the one I took out of the faucet. Tell me about the rubber seats - I have o-rings in the rear and thicker, washer-like rings in the front of the cartridge. I fully checked all the orifices to make sure nothing was blocking and found two extra o-rings that had been placed on the rear of the cartridge.

The Mixer Valve Kit is Part#GP71969

The Cartridge is Part# XXXXX

The Original Faucet is a K-1511 purchased in 1996.

Anything else I can give you?

the 2 extra o- rings that are on the rear of the cartridge might be causing the problem and might be holding it out not letting it shut the flow off, this is most likely due to the fact the old o-rings are still inside the valve body and do might need to remove the new rings because they are not needed if the old ones are still inside the valve body. At this point it is un clear why its not shutting off, you have the right replacement parts and you have installed it the same way the old one was, but with out me being there on site i can not trouble shoot for my self. I would recommend having a professional out for a service call to see if its just something you are doing wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like an answer to my question. I realize it may be difficult, but what else could possibily be causing it not to turn off. There are only a few parts. Unfortunately without a traditional valve stem, we can't see whether it is seating properly.

Is there anything that could be causing this in the plumbing arrangement that the cartridge is placed in? Is there a way to test the cartridge and/or mixing valve to see if water can or can not be shut off?

Once we've explored all possibilities I won't accept the answer of "call a plumbing professional".

The replacement cartridge you installed you must make sure you push it firmly into place and it should lock into the valve body, if its not pushed in all the way and locked in then it will not shut off the water. Also if you have the old o rings still inside the valve body then that will hold you up from pushing it all the way in and locking it self into place, the best thing to do is remove the cartridge again then look inside the valve body to ensure the old rings are not stuck inside the valve body then once you have done that you want to push the cartridge back into the valve and make sure it goes all the way into the valve and locks fully into place if its not then it will leak and not turn off the water. The only other thing that could cause this is a bad cartridge that you might have gotten , or sediment and minerals are blocking the valve and not letting it shut off or the you have the wrong cartridge. Please read this and try what i suggest and make sure you inspect the cartridge and valve carefully and make sure you look for the signs of what i told you , if that still doesn't work then you should call Kohler customer service support line ,

Call the KOHLER Customer Care Center at
Phone: 1-800-4KOHLER (1-800-456-4537)
Hours: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Central Time) Monday to Friday
If that doesn't help then your next step would be to call in a plumbing professional to your house where he could be there in person to trouble shoot the problem, we are limited as what we can do from our computers and a problem like this you need to be on site to look at the problem face on.

Only when you feel I have answered your question to the best of my ability please click, Accept, or I don't get credit for answering this question and I get no customer feed back.

Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience: Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago