Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, Plumber
Experience:  30 years on the tools
15546140

I have a problem with my Ferroli F24 boiler. The heating

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Ferroli F24 boiler. The heating and hot water have been fine but after the high winds the other night the boiler will not work.. the green light is flashing on the 'insufficient pressure icon on the main unit' but the pressure gauge is showing it is 1.5bar..

If you turn the boiler on it will kick in for around 10 seconds before shutting down and leaving the icon still flashing
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 3 years ago.

Are you still getting a raised pressure reading this AM after bleeding this last nite?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes.. I have topped the pressure back up to 1.5bar but the problem still persists
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 3 years ago.

Just to be sure I am on the same page with you.

After you relieved the system of the high pressure (from4 bars down to 1.5), it continues to climb back up on its own without the heater "kicking on" to supply heat?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, no I have switched the boiler off now and it has stayed at the same bar reading for the last hour or so and has only changed if I have topped it up or drained it via the radiators.

When I power up the boiler it kicks in for around 10 seconds then shuts down again

Expert:  Plmqwk replied 3 years ago.

Alright thank you,

Sorry for the sites delay in getting a quick answer to your situation.

I have your manual online and to be honest am not familiar with your unit unfortunately. I thought you may have had a bad pressure reducing valve on the inlet but that is not the case. Try if you can to access your ignitor probes I would clean them with some steel wool or other semi abrassive clothe. Sometimes they get fouled up and this situation occures. If this helps please hit ACCEPT for me. I will now opt out to see if another expert who is familiar with your unit can help you further should you need it.

Here is the manual in case you need it. the flow charts in back may help you.

http://www.ferroli.co.uk/product_documentation/DOMESTIC_ARCHIVE/F24_Manual.pdf

Edited by Plmqwk on 11/13/2010 at 2:52 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your assistance but I think I will have to call somebody out to take a look at the problem. I appreciate your assistance on this matter,

Kind regards,

Dave.

Expert:  Plmqwk replied 3 years ago.

Dave, before you call someone, did you see I edited my last post to you? I have forwarded a link to the manual. The flow charts near the back may help you determine what is going on more clearly while being in front of your unit and going through the chart/ process. Best of luck to you.

Tim

Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rick here UK plumber, there can be several causes for your problem, if you respond I can go through them with you, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response, I have the 'Brother in law' coming round tomorrow to take a look .. I think it might be related to the air flow so either the fan or the flue has moved in the wind...

He is a qualified plumber but is not familiar with the Ferroli make..

Sorry if the spelling is poor just been watching the boxing. I like Haye but what a poor night for the fans. will not tell you the outcome in case you have recorded it,

Thanks,

Ok we need to identify what the problem is, high winds should not affect the flue if it is the normal through the wall and terminate type, I am more interested in the pressure issue, if it rises more than about .75 bar we have to ask why, so can you tell me the pressure as it is now, and when you reset what do you hear, does the fan run & the pump if so does it spark? Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I turn on the boiler with either the 'hot water' or 'central heating' set to on the boiler kicks in. pilot light fires up you here a whosh' then 10 seconds later it cuts out and the 'green' low pressure light flashes..

I have tried this at 1b 1.5b and 2b but the green light flashes indicating low pressure.

Hope this helps..

Thanks,

Yes it does looks like the high limit stat has failed, Rick