Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have an American standard shower faucet. the hot water

I have an American standard shower faucet. the hot water comes in slow. pipe bangs when it is on two low. I took off the water valve just under the cover and it seems fine. I turned on water and behind this part the water comes in slow. to I have to take down the tiles and replace the whole part?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer,

Rick the plumber :

Assuming this is a fairly new pressure balancing valve (faucet) the problem you describe requires a specially designed cartridge that is made specifically to resolve this issue. I'm assuming the banging is rather rapid and occurs while the water is running. The manufacturer should supply the replacement part at no charge

Customer :

is presure balancing valve just under the cover it is white with the handle sticking out of it

Rick the plumber :

If my description of the rapid banging is accurate you need the part I described above

Customer :

ok but I need to know which part to take out. yes rapid banging but only when hot water does not come in fast enough, if you back of the cold water the banging stops.

Rick the plumber :

You need to replace the entire cartridge inside the valve. You will need the model of the valve then you could try a plumbing supply house that sells AS or call American Standard directly. While this problem is uncommon it is a known issue and a specially modified cartridge is needed to fix it

Customer :

I took off presure valve and ran water and it still comes in slow. so problem cant be with presure valve

Customer :

has to be undernieth?

Rick the plumber :

What do you mean "I took off the pressure valve"?

Customer :

I turned of the water, took the cover off and then removed 3 skrews from the valve and removed it. then i turned on the water to see the water presure , hot was low and cold was fine.

Rick the plumber :

If you removed the cartridge and the hot water flow is poor coming out of the valve body then you probably have a blockage in the line feeding the valve or in the valve body

Customer :

hmm to I need to replace the whole valve. of does the part undernieth come out off also. rick

Customer :

is the body valve replaceable?

Customer :

there is a brace plate with tree skrews I took off also, does this hold the valvebody?

Rick the plumber :

When you removed this stuff did the water come out of the shower head or out of the wall?

Customer :

no the shower head was disconncect because i took of the faucet. it came out of the valve in the wall

Rick the plumber :

The valve body is the cast brass fitting that the water lines connect to. When you remove the cartridge completely you should be able to see the internal openings in the valve body. You can replace the entire valve not just the body.

Rick the plumber :

You may be able to re-use the trim

Rick the plumber :

Are you sure there are no shut offs in the line or at the valve inlets that may be partially closed

Customer :

no water works in the sink right next door just fine. not sure what you mean by trim?

Rick the plumber :

The handle, the escutcheon

Rick the plumber :

Are there small valve stems with slots on the end where the water pipes connect to the valve?

Customer :

there is a brace plate I just took off under it is a grey plastic part with three holes. should I try to take this out

Rick the plumber :

Yes. If this isn't out then your flow test means nothing. All the guts need to be out of the valve

Customer :

I mean brass

Rick the plumber :

You need to remove everything All the guts) from the valve body

Customer :

ok Just took grey part out. did not come easly there white vavle with two holds underneith wont easly come out. I gues I can force it?

Rick the plumber :

All the plastic parts are removable. How you get them out is your risk

Customer :

of course. I will have to replace the whole thing anyway if this does not work. let me try

Rick the plumber :

ok

Customer :

ok got it out. not easy probable some damage, lots of corrotion inside it and behiind it. that is why it would not come out. is this part easy to replace.

Rick the plumber :

You haven't told me which model valve you have so it's difficult to say for sure. Most AS valves are pretty easy to fix

Customer :

not sure of model is it on the presure valve. what is AS mean

Rick the plumber :

American Standard. What you may see on the valve guts are part numbers not the valve model.

Customer :

dont know, but I should go to plumbing supply store. or you think it has to be specifically american standard.

Rick the plumber :

It has to be specifically American Standard if you want parts or want to use the same trim. If you are going to replace the entire valve any brand will do as long as the escutcheon (trim plate) covers the hole in the wall.

Rick the plumber :

Do you have any more questions?

Customer :

thank you

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.