Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector
47536969

I am now on my second Model K-4632-AA toilet since January

Customer Question

I am now on my second Model K-4632-AA toilet since January 2010.
The first one was replaced by the installer after 5 months, and the latest one is now about to drive me crazy.
The problem: When you flush it, the solids remain firmly attached to the bowl. The water doen't swirl, just runs in little streams. I've tried holding the lever to try and achieve a 1.6 gallon flush, but it makes no difference. The end result is that the toilet has to be scrubbed after EVERY use. I want it out of here unless you have some magical means of correcting the problem.
XXXXX XXXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 3 years ago.

Hi David,

If there was a plumber involved with the installation, have they considered a partial blockage of the drain line for that toilet? The vent line for the toilet may also need to be checked for blockage. Something is not allowing the flush action to work properly and those are two common problems.

Also, the model number you gave is the number of the tank only. Has the bowl been replaced as well. If not there could be a defect with the bowl.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vent line and the drain line were both checked when the first new toilet went in and again when the replacement one went in.

Sorry about the model number, but both the bowl and tank have been replaced twice. The toilet is one of Kohler's new "high efficiency" 1.0/1.6 gallon flush units.

Although it 'looks' the same as the other elongated bowl/comfort height toilet in the other bath, it is a loud power flusher.

The real problem is that although the water flushes quite rapidly (the first time I thought it might take my arm off) the water does not "sheet" down the bowl, nor does it swirl around the bowl. As a result there are narrow wet streaks that run down the bowl, leaving the crap in vertical striations where the water never runs.

If this is a Kohler problem I guess I'll have to take it up with them (which I thought I was doing on this site)

Expert:  Plmqwk replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry you are having this problem. Based on your info it does appear to be an issue to take up with the manufacturer. This website does not handle manufacture issues. Your best possibility I suggest may be having the installer contact Kohler to see what they are willing to do to resolve your situation. If they are not willing then call kohler customer service number listed on your product brochure. Also find another plumber next time. They should want to have a satisfied customer.