Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
31194769

I have a water hammer thumping noise that started up randomly

I have a water hammer thumping noise that started up randomly about two weeks ago. It happens when hot/cold water is turned ON...loudest at kitchen faucet, but others as well. Basement has open ceiling and when faucet is tested, noise in not coming from directly below (or under kitchen faucet/pipes) , sounds above when I am in the basement and sounds like its coming from the basement when I am at the kitchen sink (first floor).

Here's the kicker; sound happens when there is NO water/pipes in use.

WHAT???
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. there are many things that can cause that problem. First thing is on a water supply system in a house each plumbing fixture has what we call air chambers, some house have mechanical air chambers and when they go bad they will cause this problem. Second the reason you are hearing the noise when nothing is being used could be cause from a toilet fill valve that is running and running , so you might thing nothing is being used but in fact when a toilet fill valve keeps running then their is water flow and can cause this problem. Last thing that could cause this problem could be a bad or failed pressure reducing valve on the water coming into your house, these can go bad and cause the problem you are having. Last and final thing that could be causing this problem would be a bad rpz or back flow device on the house water supply , when these go bad the will cause a loud noise and vibrate the heck out of the pipes. First thing to do would be to turn the main water off to the house at the water meter , then go to each faucet , sink and shower and turn them on hot and cold , this will drain the house and add air back into the system , also flush each toilet several times during the time you have the water off.
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience: Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Shutting off the main and draining the house worked...thanks!