Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
45612278

How do you unclog the bathroom cold water line.The sink seems

Customer Question

How do you unclog the bathroom cold water line.The sink seems ok it is the line to the bathtub.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike the plumber replied 4 years ago.

Mike the plumber :

Hello I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Mike the plumber :

Is this a single handle tub faucet?

Customer :

yes

Mike the plumber :

You will have to turn the water off to the house and remove the cartridge. While its out you will have to slowly turn the water on to the house to blow out the line. You will then have to clean the cartridge and re install it. if

Mike the plumber :

if you still dont have any cold water after all of that then you will have to replace the cartridge

Customer :

Is the cartridge located behind the tap in the wall?

Mike the plumber :

its behind the handle and the trim plate thats flush on the wall

Customer :

I think I see it, is it a large flathead screw about 1" in diameter?

Mike the plumber :

not sure witch model you have. every brand a model are different. you will have to remove the handle first. then you can remove the face plate. the cartridge will be behind the face plate

Mike the plumber :

make sure you turn the water off to the house before removing the cartridge

Customer :

We are going to go try it can we get back to you?

Mike the plumber :

yes. ill leave the question open. just come back to the site and go to your questions to reply

Customer :

ok thanks

Mike the plumber :

youre welcome

Customer :

We unscrewed the screw and removed the cylinder behind it. The screen is now exposed but it wont come out of its brass housing. It almost seems like the screen isn't meant to come out but rather the whole housing needs to be removed and a new one soldered in? Any suggestions?

Mike the plumber :

is this a moen valve?

Customer :

we think so.

Mike the plumber :

if it is a moen you really need a moen cartridge removal tool to remove it, but you can grab the end of the stem with a pair of pliers(careful not to crush it) and pull really hard to remove the cartridge

Customer :

I'll try the pliers again.

Mike the plumber :

is there a clip holding the cartridge in place

Mike the plumber :

Full Size Image

Customer :

is the cartridge behind the tap valve itself or off to the side. Looking at your picture I think I took apart the wrong thing.

Mike the plumber :

the cartridge is the part that comes out of the valve body that the handle attaches to. it should have either a retaining nut or a clip that holds it in place

Customer :

ok I definitely took apart the wrong thing then. I'll try again and let you know how it turns out.

Mike the plumber :

Full Size Image

Mike the plumber :

here is a breakdown that may help you out.

Customer :

thanks

Mike the plumber :

youre welcome

Mike the plumber :

were you able to get it out?

I'm here if you need me.
Thanks, Mike