Paul Bradshaw
Paul Bradshaw, Master Plumber
Experience:  17 years in the field , tankless upgrades, backflow certified, high end hot water circulation
50826117

My pilot light on my Bradford white gas hot water heater keeps

My pilot light on my Bradford white gas hot water heater keeps going out. I changed the Thermal Coupler and the flame comes on and the furnace lights up to heat the water but then after a while the flame goes out. When I turn the water on hot it does not trigger the water heater pilot light to go back on and I have to relight the pilot by hand. the water heater is only 8 years old.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Paul Bradshaw replied 4 years ago.

when u replaced the thermo coupling and re lit is the thermo coupling in the direct path of the flame

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The thermal coupler is sitting right next to the flame
you probroly need to adjust the thermo coupling to collect more heat from the flame also i have had many thermo couplings be bad out of the package . the thermo coupling provides a heat signal to the gas control valve if it is not getting hot enough to keep the control valve on it will shut off when the heater gets up to temp. look at flame when it is heating up to see if the flame on pilot is lit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Is it possible that the gas control volve needs to be replaced or  could ther be air in the gas line. Does it sound like I need to replace the water heater like one plumber told me</p><p> </p>
it is possible, but probroly not air after you have it run it should purge out the air. if you see a jumping flame or yellow then you would have air. also the thermo coupling you have could not be hitting the correct part on the gas valve. also if you can lite it and you start up the water heater the thermo coupling can cool down with a full burn causing it to shut off after it heats up and turns off so i wouldnt think it would be the gas valve

Edited by Paul Bradshaw on 10/20/2010 at 1:42 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what do you mean it can cool down with a full burn and cause it to shut off , do you mean if it is a bad coupler and does it sound like i need to replace the water heater?

i am sorry you have two flames a pilot lite and a burner the pilot light remains on all the time but when the heater is on and heating the flame can loose contact with the thermo-coupling and it will cool down and cause it to shut off after heating the water up.

i dont think it is your gas control valve because you can get it to light just wont stay lit

As for the water heater being replaced that is a judgment question look at all connections and check for rust and corrosion.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The unit is only 7 years old no rust or corrosion. It seems the pilot light is not staying on,

When I get it lit it is a blue flame and the burner does go on.

so theres no air in the system did you remove the complete burner assembly or just the coupling
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just the coupling
then i would check the connection to the gas valve and make sure the small copper line is contacting the gas control and is tight also the placement off the coupling with the flame is critical. and if it dont work take it back and try another. they come bad sometimes. if it doesn't stay lit reposition the coupling and try again. also when you get it lit look to see how the flame is burning and is the thermo coupling still being heated.

Edited by Paul Bradshaw on 10/20/2010 at 2:08 AM EST
Paul Bradshaw, Master Plumber
Experience: 17 years in the field , tankless upgrades, backflow certified, high end hot water circulation
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

Have a good night

let me know if theres anything i can help with hope it all works out