Mark
Mark, Union Plumber
Experience:  32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management
48714917

no pressure on gauge of water tank. psi of air valve using

no pressure on gauge of water tank. psi of air valve using tire pressure gauge is 40psi. drained tank, no water in it. how do i get it to work again? or what needs to be replaced?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mark :

Is this a Bladder type pressure tank?

Customer :

i started this by turning the water off to change the filter. the valve snapped with the water off. i changed the valve by cutting it out and replacing it. to get the water to stop i let all of the pressure in the tank out until it stopped. then put the valve in. i added pressure to the tank through the tire valve on top to 40psi. it worked for about 10 minutes. since then i tried draining the tank of all water. and the reset switch. nothing is working. no pressure anywhere except reading at the air valve on top of the tank.

Mark :

Did the pressure on the schrader valve (air valve) go down when you let the water out?

Customer :

yes the first time i added air. not the second time, or since.

Customer :

i had not let all of the water out yet the first time.

Mark :

So if you drain all the water out of the tank, the air pressure gauge still reads 40 PSI?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

not the gauge for the on/off switch. the air valve on top with a tire pressure gage.

Customer :

the on/off switch after tapping it is 0.

Mark :

This tells me you have a bladder type tank. Anytime you drain a bladder type tank, you must let the air out of the bladder before you drain the water out or it can rupture. Let some air out of the schrader valve down to about 5-10 PSI and let the water tank fill up. Check the pressure gauge on the water tank and tell me if it goes up. If it does, then recharge the schrader valve back up to 40 PSI, hit the reset button and let me know what happens.

Customer :

i will try it and be back in a couple minutes. if it does not fill with water?

Mark :

Also, let me know if you get water out of the air valve.

Customer :

it reads about 5-8 psi. nothing happened. no water out of the valve.

Mark :

Did the tank fill up with water?

Customer :

no.

Mark :

And the air valve reads 5-8 psi?

Customer :

yes

Mark :

OK. The good news is the bladder is still intact. Now does the pump run?

Customer :

no.

Mark :

The reset button you're referrring to is on the pressure switch? What brand is it?

Customer :

it is a switch wired to the pressure from the electric panel. should i try reset again? i will go see who they are.

Mark :

Yes, hit the reset switch again and tell me what you hear any clicks or noises of any kind.

Customer :

allen-bradley

Customer :

no noise. nothing. it reads: " to reset wait two minutes than turn switch to off."

Mark :

That could be your PLC. Follow those instructions and try it again. Is there a model # XXXXX some where?

Customer :

what is PLC?

Mark :

Programmable logic controller.

Customer :

no model number just a switch...like a light switch.

Customer :

the pressure switch itself is a TC2151 parts2o

Customer :

30/50 psi that i got at Home Depot

Mark :

Yes, that's a Flotec pressure switch. Is there any thing else you've replaced recently?

Customer :

the reset switch is directly under the panel box. wires then go to the pressure switch.

Customer :

the pressure switch about a year or two ago.

Customer :

the Rusco filter i never did get apart to clean or replace the filter.

Mark :

I'm thinking it's electrical if the pump won't even start. Have you checked power to the pump?

Customer :

i only changed the valve to turn the water on/off from the tank to the furnace. and that after i couldn't get it to reopen. (corroded)

Customer :

how best to check th power to the pump?

Mark :

You couldn't get the valve to reopen?

Customer :

the turn stem broke inside

Mark :

With an electrical tester or voltmeter.

Mark :

So the valve is stuck in the closed position and feeds what?

Customer :

continuity tester?

Mark :

That'll work.

Customer :

i replaced the stuck valve.

Mark :

The new valve is open correct?

Customer :

yes. and i am not getting any electric reading on the pressure switch terminals.

Customer :

could both switches be bad?

Customer :

i could open the swich box and test there.

Mark :

There you go. Check the disconnect and see if you've tripped a breaker. Your pressure switch might have gone bad also. It's going to be a process of elimination until you find what is powered.

Customer :

no breaker is tripped. the reset switch does have power.

Customer :

so then i should change the pressure switch?

Mark :

When you open the switch box (Allen-Bradley), tell me the Model # XXXXX there is one. My educated guess is yes, it's the pressure switch.

Customer :

i didn't notice any model number just a elaborate switch. power from the box was good. power down to the bottom of the switch was present.

Customer :

i will try a new pressure switch. is there a contact email to let you know if it was?

Mark :

See if you can find a Square D pressure switch for your pump. They are a better pressure switch in my opinion and I've installed a bunch of them with little problems. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to give out e-mails or fax # XXXXX I was turned in by another expert for doing so not knowing of course. If you accept this advice, I'll leave the question open and you can let me know if that was it and if it's not, hey, we'll try something else. Thanks and good luck. Please leave positive feedback and I'll do the same. Mark

Mark, Union Plumber
Experience: 32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Let me know when you install the new switch. Mark