Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
31194769

our tub quickly sputtered some black water in the tub upstairs

our tub quickly sputtered some black water in the tub upstairs today. The other areas of the house have not done this before. What should we be looking for/doing?
Chat Conversation Started
Plumbing Pro :

Hi, and Welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will do my best to answer your question to the best of my professional ability.

Plumbing Pro :

what floor is the bath room on that had the problem?

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

2nd floor

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

thanks for the assist here :)

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

while wife running the tub, spluttered, dropped some black water, went the clear water, a couple minutes same thing happened again, then went to clear. Nothing since. Not sure what to make of it...

Plumbing Pro :

and this only happen at this one tub?

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

yes - ran the other tub for a while just to check (on the first floor in the master bath) and ran the shower in that one as well - nothing

Plumbing Pro :

is this shower a 2 handle faucet? or single?

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

single

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

tub on the top floor where the problem was is single as well

Plumbing Pro :

does it do it every time you use it or did it only happen this one time so far

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

just the one time - first time it's happened

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

to be clear we haven't used it since that happened so I don't know if it's recurring since then

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

but it's never happened before

Plumbing Pro :

well its normal to have this happen, water when its sitting in the pipe it picks up the rubber from in shower cartridge, then it will come out for the first couple of seconds black or dirty water. Like anytime water is turned off in a house to make a repair or work on something it loosens up minerals that have built up over time and then will be released in to the system and out the faucet. If its a signle handle faucet then i would have it replaced with a new one . But this is normal and as long as its not causing a probelm you really dont have to replace it. To flush the system go turn on every sink shower and turn on the washing machine and dish washer at the same time , let the water run for 10 mins like this with everything on at one time, also go flush each toilet 3 times durring this time. This will help flush out your water pipe.

JACUSTOMER-9myvjr5j- :

Awesome - thanks so much! That's a load off our mind :). We'll go do that tonight. Thanks!