Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, Plumber
Experience:  30 years on the tools
15546140

hi have warmflow 70/90 combi with riello rdb1 oil burner 10years

Customer Question

hi have warmflow 70/90 combi with riello rdb1 oil burner 10years old seems to stop and fire up a lot worse when windy new control box and photo cell fitted but still the same any ideas thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 4 years ago.
Hi Rick here UK plumber, sound like the air damper is set incorrectly, to set this properly a smoke meter is needed with the prob in the flue access port, regards Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
had damper set last service 6 months ago
How long has this fault been occurring and can you describe it in a little more detail, thanks Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about a year but seems to be getting worse always keeps going again never locks out

What sort of flue have you got, type of construction height, termination etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
balanced flue 1000mm of ground level outside 270mm high 160mmwide with two channels running up either side for exhaust gases
I am not getting the connection here somehow, if the wind is affecting the burner some how causing the flame to go out, I would expect it to lock out, but it is not locking out, so what is causing the boiler to turn on and off, I cannot see the wind doing it, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it does it when it is not windy but definately worse when windy
So can we be very specific here is the burner stopping on a regular basis before the boiler is up to temperature, or is it stopping and starting when the radiators are hot, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah it does it first thing in morning
Have you checked the pump? it sounds more like a flow problem, does turning the boiler stat up or down make any difference? Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
turning the stat up or down makes no difference when it goes out the burner motor keeps running until it fires again pump was reading 100 psi at last service does soleniod and or valve ever give problems?
Yes the solenoids can fail or get sticky and the valves can fail as well as the pump, but if it goes out with the burner motor still running it should lock out as the moment the photo cell does not see a flame it must lock out or fuel could be delivered which is not burning, bad news for next fire up, but it does sound as though the oil supply is drying up, if you remove the bleed plug, does the oil flow readily, have you checked the filter, I mean not leave it to a service guy look at it yourself it should be clean any evidence of rusty sludge and it will not pass enough fuel, Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi cleaned both filters at tank and boiler wern`t to bad o ring on flexi to pump was nipped at one side may have been restricting flow might have been problem
I would put a pressure gauge on it semi permanent and monitor the pressure when it gives the problem I have a similar oil burner at home and have always had a pressure gauge on it, I only have to open the cover to see exactly what is going on, this is partly because I use recycled oil and wanted to see how the pressure varied summer/winter, Rick