Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago

I have a shutoff valve to an outside hose bib in my basement.

I have a shutoff valve to an outside hose bib in my basement. On the housing of the shutoff is a small screw bib for bleeding the system. I have one each of these devices for the front and rear of the home.

The small screw bib on one of these units leaks when the shutoff valve is open (water to the outside) It is screwed on very tight and I cannot loosen it.

The screw bib on the other shutoff value works fine, does not leak and can be opened and closed with normal finger/thumb pressure.

can I solve this problem without calling a plumber?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Plumbing Pro :

Hi, and Welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will do my best to answer your question to the best of my professional ability.

Plumbing Pro :

one minute please

Plumbing Pro :

what you first should do is turn the water off to the house before the water is feed to that one valve that is giving you the trouble, then go open the hose bib on the out side and let the water drain out and relive its water pressure. Once this is done now you can try and loosen the little brass cap off, be careful bras is soft and can be miss formed easy under pressure from a steel wrench. You should be able to turn the cap with a wrench counter clock wise to remove and loosen.

Customer :

Will I be abl

Customer :

le Will I be abto re-use the screw shutoff if I get it off? I assume something is stripped inside. Is it possible to buy a replacement?

Plumbing Pro :

the brass cap you should be able to find a new replacement at the hardware store, if for some reasons the brass thread is miss formed then the valve will need to be replaced.