Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
45612278

pump motor hums in my whirlpool bath tub but no water circ

pump motor hums in my whirlpool bath tub but no water circulation
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike the plumber replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the plumber :

Hello I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Mike the plumber :

How old is the tub?

Customer :

less than 2 years

Mike the plumber :

it this a whirpool that circulates the water or one with the air jets?

Customer :

yes

Mike the plumber :

do you have access to the motor?

Customer :

yes

Mike the plumber :

does it have a red reset button on it?

Customer :

i do not readily see one. I am looking in at the side away from the tub and the end that is opposite the actual pipe side.

Mike the plumber :

the pump is humming but not pumping when the tub is full of water... right??

Customer :

yes

Mike the plumber :

is the large inlet screen in the tub clear of debris?

Customer :

It was dirty but not that restricted. I cleaned it but the motor still hums.

Mike the plumber :

Sounds to me like the pump is locked up. You can try to remove the motor and free the pump up. Since the tub is fairly new the pump may still be in warranty

Mike the plumber :

was the pump run dry?

Customer :

If it was, I am unaware.

Mike the plumber :

How often do you use it?

Customer :

Most likely not often enough. At the most probably 10 times since we had it installed.

Mike the plumber :

Wow. Thats not enough for it to have gone out. If the motor is humming but not pumping then the pump is froze up, or the motor is locked up. I would check for a reset button first. You may have to use a mirror and a flashlight to find it. if there is not a reset button then the motor-pump assembly will have to be removed and either repaired or replaced. I would check with the installed to see about a warranty replacement. if its past the warranty then i would take it to a pool and spa company and have it repaired

Mike the plumber :

it could be as simple as removing it and unjamming the impeller on the pump

Customer :

ok. I will try that but will need to take that on later in the week.

Customer :

Thanks for your help. I sure that you are right about the pump/motor. That is what i expected.

Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience: Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction