Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Moen kitchen faucet that does not want to shut off

Customer Question

I have a Moen kitchen faucet that does not want to shut off completely unless the handle is in a particular position.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer,

Rick the plumber :

If this is a single lever faucet then you will probably need to replace the cartridge in the faucet to correct this problem

Customer :

OK. That doesn't sound too complicated. However, the first obstacle that I have to overcome is how to get the handle off in the first place. Below you will see some photos I took a few minutes ago. When the handle is in the extreme upright/on position and the hot/cold label plug is removed, I do see what looks like a weird kind of "inside nut" (???). You can see in pretty clearly in the closeup photo. Should I try to buy some sort of tool to remove or loosen this? If so, what kind of tool should I ask for?

Customer :

Sorry, I guess I don't have a handle on how to send you the photos yet. Give me a few minutes to figure it out.

Rick the plumber :

You should see a tree icon in the tool bar of your chat window. Click on the tree and a dialogue box should come up

Customer :

Yes, I saw that. However, the photos evidently have to be posted on some sort of photo sharing website. I'm working on that now.

Rick the plumber :

The pics should post in the chat window. We has experienced file upload bugs recently so it may not work.

Customer :

Try this and tell me if you can see them.

Full Size Image
Pic 2
Full Size Image
Close up
Full Size Image

Customer :

Can you see the pictures?

Rick the plumber :

Yes. You need to loosen the allen set screw then pull the handle off.

Customer :

Ok, I'll try that

Rick the plumber :

Good luck

Customer :

I don't mean to argue with your analysis, but no size of allen wrench will engage the nut. It looks to me like there is a round center post INSIDE the nut. Isn't there a particular tool for this kind of nut? If so, what's it called?

Rick the plumber :

The allen screw is probably stripped. If it is then your only option is to either go to a hardware store and see what they have for a screw extractor or you could try to drill out the set screw. But drilling it out is not an option I would recommend. Allen screws are often hardened and if you slip while drilling it out the handle is junk.

Rick the plumber :

Do you have any more questions?

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Sorry to step in Rick.

In the picture What I see is an ANTI-THEFT ALLEN SCREW you can ask if they have this at your hardware store or I know you can order one at Mc Mastercar or Grainger on line.

Bill

Edited by Bill on 9/18/2010 at 9:46 PM EST