Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Moen kitchen faucet that does not want to shut off

I have a Moen kitchen faucet that does not want to shut off completely unless the handle is in a particular position.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer,

Rick the plumber :

If this is a single lever faucet then you will probably need to replace the cartridge in the faucet to correct this problem

Customer :

OK. That doesn't sound too complicated. However, the first obstacle that I have to overcome is how to get the handle off in the first place. Below you will see some photos I took a few minutes ago. When the handle is in the extreme upright/on position and the hot/cold label plug is removed, I do see what looks like a weird kind of "inside nut" (???). You can see in pretty clearly in the closeup photo. Should I try to buy some sort of tool to remove or loosen this? If so, what kind of tool should I ask for?

Customer :

Sorry, I guess I don't have a handle on how to send you the photos yet. Give me a few minutes to figure it out.

Rick the plumber :

You should see a tree icon in the tool bar of your chat window. Click on the tree and a dialogue box should come up

Customer :

Yes, I saw that. However, the photos evidently have to be posted on some sort of photo sharing website. I'm working on that now.

Rick the plumber :

The pics should post in the chat window. We has experienced file upload bugs recently so it may not work.

Customer :

Try this and tell me if you can see them.

Full Size Image
Pic 2
Full Size Image
Close up
Full Size Image

Customer :

Can you see the pictures?

Rick the plumber :

Yes. You need to loosen the allen set screw then pull the handle off.

Customer :

Ok, I'll try that

Rick the plumber :

Good luck

Customer :

I don't mean to argue with your analysis, but no size of allen wrench will engage the nut. It looks to me like there is a round center post INSIDE the nut. Isn't there a particular tool for this kind of nut? If so, what's it called?

Rick the plumber :

The allen screw is probably stripped. If it is then your only option is to either go to a hardware store and see what they have for a screw extractor or you could try to drill out the set screw. But drilling it out is not an option I would recommend. Allen screws are often hardened and if you slip while drilling it out the handle is junk.

Rick the plumber :

Do you have any more questions?

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

Hello

Sorry to step in Rick.

In the picture What I see is an ANTI-THEFT ALLEN SCREW you can ask if they have this at your hardware store or I know you can order one at Mc Mastercar or Grainger on line.

Bill

Edited by Bill on 9/18/2010 at 9:46 PM EST