Paul Bradshaw
Paul Bradshaw, Master Plumber
Experience:  17 years in the field , tankless upgrades, backflow certified, high end hot water circulation
50826117

I AM REPLACING A GARBAGE DISPOSAL AND CANNOT REMOVE THE SHORT

I AM REPLACING A GARBAGE DISPOSAL AND CANNOT REMOVE THE SHORT BLACK PIPE FEEDING THE DISPOSAL FROM THE OTHER PIPES, IT TURNS AROUND BUT DOES NOT PULL OUT. I NED TO REPLACE IT AS THE NEW UNIT HAS A DIFERENT INLET HOLE.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Paul Bradshaw replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Paul Bradshaw :

hello

Paul Bradshaw :

are you talking about the pipe between sink and disposal or disposal and drain

Customer :

the short black pipe that comes with the disposal and connects with the drain

Paul Bradshaw :

there should be one or two screws that hold a metel ring on it

Customer :

i have removed t he pipe from the disposal and now must replace it with the new pipe Do you use force to pull it out which i have tried unsuccessfully

Paul Bradshaw :

no what is the name on the disposal. dont force anything is this part more inside the disposal

Paul Bradshaw :

are you tring to get the black piece off the pipe now

Customer :

in sink erator the problem is removing the pipe from the the drain. I do believe it is straight with no threada or lips like its replacement. it turns readily and is probably an inch deep into the connecting pipe very frustrating

Paul Bradshaw :

there should be and 11/2 nut to remove to pull it out

Paul Bradshaw :

sound like the gasket is holding the piece in there

Customer :

I have removed this gasket which unscrewed

Paul Bradshaw :

yes you will have to work on this one this problem is caused probroly build up getting on the back side of the black pipe makeing it slightly larger in the back. i would pull while turning back and forth

Paul Bradshaw :

what is the drain made off

Customer :

okay I have been doing this and will resume if you agree it should come out as their should be nothing holdpng it in the connecting pipe

Paul Bradshaw :

is the drain pvc

Customer :

yes

Paul Bradshaw :

you have to be really carefull to pull straight if you go up or down you can break it off the wall causing alot more problems

Paul Bradshaw :

very care full if its a long pipe comming out of wall

Paul Bradshaw :

does this sink have one drain or two

Customer :

okay thanks for you advise and I will resume my efforts one drain

Paul Bradshaw :

do you have a u shape fitting

Customer :

yes

Paul Bradshaw :

you are working between the u shape and disposl or u shape and drain

Customer :

between the disposal and u shape

Paul Bradshaw :

the u shape is made out of hard bigger than the black piece material

Paul Bradshaw :

real pvc not thin tubular like the u shape/p-trap

Customer :

yes

Paul Bradshaw :

yes that is the cause i would try to snake the drain two that is caused with food backing up a little it will collect on the tubular fittins and cause them to get bigger . if you can remove the u shape i would u can eaisly break the pipe coming out of the wall by pulling up.

Customer :

ok I will do as you have suggestedl I was hesitant in removing the u shape as the connecting threaded nut seems some what old but I will do it

Paul Bradshaw :

also if the bottom of the pipe going into the wall is higher than the bottom of the black piece going in to the disposal it will hold water and mess the new disposal up

Customer :

ok

Paul Bradshaw, Master Plumber
Experience: 17 years in the field , tankless upgrades, backflow certified, high end hot water circulation