Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

Are auto vents allowed to be installed under a kitchen sink

Customer Question

Are auto vents allowed to be installed under a kitchen sink according to code in riverside Nj. I have a kitchen sink that will be tough to vent out the roof and someone mentioned to me that i could put this type of vent in.

also, I have a bathroom sink that is within 4ft of a vent stack, does the sink still need to be vented? the bathroom sink is 1.5" conecting to 3" then to the 4" stack.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Paul Bradshaw replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Paul Bradshaw :

hello

Paul Bradshaw :

depending were you are and what allowed is depending on your city code but for the fact if installing an autovent at the kitchen sink. you can but the bottom of the autovent need to be at least !" above the flood rim

Paul Bradshaw :

top of the sink

Paul Bradshaw :

if not when you drain your dishes water can get to the autovent causing it to fail

Customer :

I whent into the township of Riverside today and the told me that an auto vent is not allowed in NJ. I am a bit frustrated because i was informed by a blumber that it was ok.

Paul Bradshaw :

it is ok to use it i live in houston and i cross the street into pearland one lets me use it and the other dont

Customer :

Im in riverside nj

Paul Bradshaw :

city code is differnt in every city but the application will work as long as it is installed to manifacture specs 1" air gap above the sink and you can acess it

Paul Bradshaw :

4ft from a stack is ok and does not need a vent

Customer :

so if the city says no, then that means i can not use it, right?

Paul Bradshaw :

that means that i cannot as a plumber pull an inspection and it passes . but as a homeowner you can do many things with out pulling permits

Paul Bradshaw :

city says no but next 6month

Paul Bradshaw :

the city can say yes

Customer :

Im not sure how to approach them as a firstime home owner. seems like they are just trying to make me do a bunch of crazy stuff. I mentioned that my sink is within 4' of the stack and they said it will still create a vacume since my tub is tied into the same line. they said each would need to be vented seperately.

Customer :

I gave the a drawing of it all

Paul Bradshaw :

i have seen differnt inspectors same city one says yes one says no depending on the inspector . i have had done work then call inspector and tell him when he looks at it for inspection have it above the flood rim and acessable and there was no way unless costing more money and damages and more times than less it will pass

Paul Bradshaw :

oh new construction

Paul Bradshaw :

just remodel

Customer :

remodel

Paul Bradshaw :

whats in the way beam?

Customer :

but not moving anything, just creating a better drainage, because stuff had negative pitch.

Customer :

for the bathroom that is

Customer :

in the kitchen im moving the sink 4'

Paul Bradshaw :

ask the city if you can use an loop vent

Customer :

is that the kind of vent that ties back into the stack?

Paul Bradshaw :

that is were you run over to the drain use a wye on its back use a 45on the wye and out of the end use a long sweep then at the top looping back down to the drain line

Paul Bradshaw :

it ties into the arm of the drain line you will just have to lower the drain down as low as you can to make you loop and still have cleanout and you drain tee

Paul Bradshaw :

that would be the only other option to let the air in the system move to allowing it to drain it is in the irc code book

Customer :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my imagination or does it appear they are just being difficult with me.

Paul Bradshaw :

they do trust me almost every day they want something differnt and want more money

Paul Bradshaw :

thats how they can make more money want to turn a small simple remodel to a big problem

Customer :

Yeh, thats what it seems like!

Customer :

Thanks for your help. So should stand my ground on the within 4' rule?

Paul Bradshaw :

i would it is in the irc and remember loop vent it works sometimes

Expert:  Hauserplb replied 4 years ago.

Abosutely do NOT install an mechanical vent. In most situations of an Island vent (if this is what you have, you can run a circular vent that ties back into your Drain line. This will be determined by you local plumbing code. Invite an inspector out to you property and they can advise you on what you need to do. DO NOT install an system that is not to code. It will not only endanger you, but create problems for you when you sell the property.