Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago

some body flushed paper towels down toilet. if i try to flush

some body flushed paper towels down toilet. if i try to flush it fills with water. how can i fix this
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Plumbing Pro :

Hi, and Welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will do my best to answer your question to the best of my professional ability.

Customer :

hello John yea somebody flushed some paper towels down the toilet and now it keeps filling up with water when i try to flush

Customer :

i tried plunging but its not working. do u have any idea what i can do?

Plumbing Pro :

The paper towel just wads up into a ball and it is too hard to flush down the toilet. There are 2 things you can do , you can use a closet auger , (special tool) for un clogging your toilet. OR the other thing you can do is pull the toilet up and reach inside the toilet from the bottom and pull out the clogged paper towel by hand. The other thing is paper towel is a heavy type paper that takes a lot longer to dissolve , unlike toilet paper witch dissolves right away. Anyways the paper towel could get stuck some where else in the system if you try to flush it down and cause a even bigger problem , i would recommend pulling the toilet up and cleaning out from the under side.

Customer :

if i do this water i sgoing to go everywhere wont it?

Customer :

is

Plumbing Pro :

Well first you must turn the valve off to the toilet , then you must emtpy the water , then yes a small amount of water will fall out , but not a lot if you do what i said frst. The other thing is you will need a new wax ring when you go to set the toilet back down.

Plumbing Pro :

Fist thing is first, their is a water shut off valve located on the wall behind the tank of the toilet, closer to the floor. turn that valve off to shut the water off to the toilet. After the first step is complete, flush and hold the handle down until as much water as passable has left the toilet, then remove the supply line connecting the toilet to the valve you just turned off.

Now you are ready to take the caps off the bottom of the toilet located on each side of the bowl of the toilet , these caps pry upward. Once the caps are off you can now loosen and remove the 2 Johnny blots that hold the toilet to the ground. Hold the toilet level so no remaining water dumps out on to the floor. After you have removed the toilet and rode the sewer, you can re install the toilet, just be sure to buy a new wax ring before you install the toilet back.

Customer :

well there is feces in the toilet, up to the top. so should i still try this or should i try the closet auger ?

Plumbing Pro :

first you can try to use the plunger to push some of the water down, well the closet auger doesnt always work and could be a waste of time and money . the way to remove the feces from the toilet is with rubber gloves , plastic bag and take it out by hand . Use a small plastic cup to remove the water from the tank. or call a plumber, or take the chance with the closet auger.

Plumbing Pro :

the closet auger doesnt work well with paper towel clogs , because it just pushes the paper into a tighter ball and doesnt always work.

Customer :

So i should shut the water off. and if it doesnt drain back down , i need to clean that out then do what u said. is that correct?

Plumbing Pro :

yes, make sure you turn the water off , then use the plunger to push as much water down the toilet you can , then remove the remaing water by hand then you can take the toilet off and flip it over and remove the clog.

Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience: Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks and where can i get this wax ring from
any local hardware store , get the good old fashion kind, they make one with a plastic horn and one with out the plastic horn. The one you want is a regular wax ring with no plastic horn. The plastic horn type reduces the size of the drain and makes for a smaller hole and could cause you problems down the road.