Mark
Mark, Union Plumber
Experience:  32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management
48714917

I have a Weil Mclain GV-4 Series 2 Boiler installed in 1993.

Customer Question

I have a Weil Mclain GV-4 Series 2 Boiler installed in 1993. When the Boiler is Firing, we can smell a faint PROPANE smell. The Tech was here from the local Heating Contractor and he said his boss called weil mclain and told him it is probably that the Combustion Chamber is corroded and the smell is un-burned Propane that can't feed thru the combustion chamber into the Exhaust pipe because the corrosion is blocking the flow.
Option 1: Tear apart the 17year old unit and clean....50%/50% chance
Option 2: Order new chamabers from Factory.... At least a 3 day wait
Option 3: New GV-4 Unit
Option 4: New High Efficiency Weil Mclain unit...
But must be moved to Garage for space and proper venting; 40 foot run back to controls

Does this sound like all my choices... PS: We added a porch and are up to 3,000 sq ft.. is the GV-4 big enough?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mark :

I would recommend installing a new high-efficiency boiler in lieu of replacing the firing chamber unless they can retrofit new burners, controls, and box to increase the efficiency up to today's standards but, without power venting, you're probably better off replacing the whole thing. Check to see if there are any tax credits/rebates available from your local utility or propane distributor, State or Federal tax credits (usually for Energy Star products) to help with the cost. What is the BTU rating for your boiler, do you have baseboard or radiant flooring, and how many zones in your home? The amount of windows and size, insulation, exterior wall thicknesses, all have to be taken into account to size the boiler correctly (among other variables). You might want to get a second opinion from another heating contractor and make sure the burner is adjusted properly before shelling out a few K for a new system. Hope this helps.