Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
45612278

stripped hex set screw on faucet handle---what next

stripped hex set screw on faucet handle---what next?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike the plumber replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the plumber :

Hello I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Mike the plumber :

is this a single or two handle faucet?

Customer :

it is a single handle faucet coverplate says Monitor has 1/8" hex set screw holding handle on.....was careful but stripped it trying to loosen it

Mike the plumber :

ok thats a delta faucet

Customer :

do I just drill it out and replace handle?

Mike the plumber :

is it a lever style handle?

Customer :

yes it is a lever that turns counterclockwise to turn water on, all the way is hot water

Mike the plumber :

yes if the the screw is stripped about the only option is to drill the screw out and get a new handle. just be careful not to drill to deep and damage the end of the cartridge. you should be able to get a new handle at your local plumbing supply house or at one of the big box stores

Customer :

the faucet is leaking......can I just replace the cartridge at the same time as the handle?

Mike the plumber :

on some set screws you can use a screw extractor to remove them but since its delta i know those are brass and the brass is to soft for a screw extractor to work

Mike the plumber :

on a delta the only thing you will need to replace is the cup washers and springs. they come in a two pack kit

Customer :

so just a 1/8" drill bit should do it? or larger.....

Mike the plumber :

Full Size Image

Mike the plumber :

tI would start with that. you may have to step up one size though

Customer :

cool....thanks for the pic. If I press on the handle, the water stops leaking out the faucet

Mike the plumber :

once you remaove the handle there is a sleeve you can slide of from the center of the valve body. under that sleeve there is a large nut. you may be able to just tighten that nut and fix your problem. if that doesnt work then you will have to pull the cartridge and replace the washers and springs

Customer :

okay thanks for the info.....is there a certain Delta model or anything I need to know?

Mike the plumber :

no the washers come in a kit. there will be two cone shaped springs and two black cup style washer in the kit. should cost about 6 bucks.

Customer :

awesome....thanks. Now for the drill!

Mike the plumber :

just make sure you but the delta oem replacement not the cheap knock offs

Mike the plumber :

your welcome

Mike the plumber :

please hit accept so i can get credit for my time and advise

Mike the plumber :

Thanks, Mike

Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience: Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction