Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

how do you prime a weil mclain heater I ran out of oil and

Customer Question

how do you prime a weil mclain heater? I ran out of oil and now my heater won't start. I just got an oil delivery.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick the plumber :

If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner and let it run until its a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. You may need to hit the reset more than once. If your ignition control (the device with the reset button on the burner) is a R7184 then the control will go into a hard lockout if you push the reset more than twice. You need to hold the button down for at least 30 seconds to release the lockout.

Rick the plumber :

Full Size Image

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That didn't work
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
What didn't work? This is how you get the air out of the oil line when you run out of oil. If you have oil and the burner doesn't fire up then you need to call in a service tech to tune up the burner.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think I need to call a service tech.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Good luck.