Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

There is a loud high pitched whistling noise when we flush

There is a loud high pitched whistling noise when we flush the toilets and sometimes when the washer starts and some fuacets are turned on. It can't be pinpointed to one specific spot, other than it seems to be coming from overhead on the first floor. What would be a likely cause. There are no leaks.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Pinpointing noises like this are often difficult but the first thing I would do is replace the fill valve on the toilet. It's the most likely culprit and a fairly easy repair.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I have a further question. Would replacing the fill valve in one toilet cure the problem for all 3 of the ones in the house? The noise did start when we replaced the tank saver in one toilet. Or would we have to replace the fill valve on all 3 toilets in the house and the one in the barn as well? I suppose the logical thing to do would be to try replacing one and see if that cures all of them.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
One thing to try is to turn the water off to each toilet, one at a time, and check if the noise stops. If the noise stops when you shut off a particular toilet then change the fill valve in that toilet tank.

There are other possible causes. You could have a faulty pressure reducing valve on the water main or a faulty back flow preventer or and outside faucet with a back flow preventer that has minimal flow (like from a drip irrigation system or a leaky hose).