Rightway Plumbing
Rightway Plumbing, Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber, Owner Right Way Plumbing LLC. 7+ years exp.
31996761

how do remove a toilet flange to replace it.....in first floor

how do remove a toilet flange to replace it.....in first floor concrete floor,also how to replace toilet flange in secound floor bath in plywood subfloor---both are abs/pvc soil pipe~1987.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rightway Plumbing replied 6 years ago.

Why do you want to replace the flange? If it is broken on the ends you can get a new repair ring to go around the broken pieces. If it is completely broken and is 4" piping you can get what is called a repair collar. This fits inside of the existing one and tightens up from the inside. If it is 3" pipe, you will have to break the concrete around it and dig it up. Then you will have to cut the pipe in the vertical and put a coupling and new flange on it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Both existing flange rings(slide around the plastic flange body) are steel and badly rusted,I do not think spanner flanges will work...Toilet flange in the up stairs bath is positioned ~1' above plywood subfloor --Replacement toilet will probably will sit too high-I have recently gutted both bathrooms as this is a foreclosure remodel...
Well that depends on what you are putting over the sub floor. That sounds like the correct height for tile. If not, you will have to open the ceiling below and cut the pipe out and replace the pipe and flange. This is the only way to make it lower.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In the !st floor bathroom in oder to install a repair collar to 4' soil pipe how do I remove the old rusted flange..

All you have to remove is the outside collar. The part that fits around the pipe doesn't effect the repair collar as it fits into the hole of the old collar.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand how to install the repair collar ...how do I remove the esisting outside collar...
You can pry the outer ring out with a claw hammer or a pry bar. That metal ring comes off pretty easily if you pry from underneath it. The ring is all you need to remove.