Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
31194769

Water is backing up into my upstairs bathroom sink. The water

Water is backing up into my upstairs bathroom sink. The water appears to be clean in that it is clear with no visable trash in it. Where could it be coming from? How do I fix this problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
Is the air conditioning condensate drain connected to it?
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 4 years ago.

the pop up , where you pull up on the lever so the sink can drain and fill, these get full of hair, soap scum and tooth paste and clog up over time. Thats why the pee trap is fine and thats why the pipe in the wall is fine. The clog is in between the pee trap and where the water drains into the pee trap. we call it the pop up. you can try using a piece of wire and try and fish out the stuff stuck in the pop up , or you can remove it and clean it out , but this is where the problem is coming from after the information you have given to me.

Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience: Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
Is the water coming up out of the drain when you are using the faucet or is it coming up on its own?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The water is coming up out of the drain on its own. No water will be turned on and the sink fills with water.
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
OK. You said that the P trap was clear. Have you looked to see if the air conditioning condensate water is connected via a fitting above the P trap below the sink? Also, does the sink drain when you use it? I need this information in order to figure out what you have happening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. This sink is not located near the a/c.

Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
OK. Does the sink drain normally when you use it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It did before the water started coming up through the drain. We haven't tried to use the sink since this started. We have to bail out the sink every few hours so that it doesn't run over.

Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any fixtures higher than this fixture? What you may need to try is putting some food coloring into a toilet bowel and see if this water is siphoning back up through this sink. I think you may have a vent problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. I will try this at home tonight. Thank you for your help and your persistance to diagnose this problem.