Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My garbage disposal is broken. When I turn it on the machine

My garbage disposal is broken. When I turn it on the machine just makes a humming sound. I have hit the reset button a few times and nothing changes.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Hi

If you have an In Sink Erator or another brand disposal made by ISE then there is a socket for an allen wrench in the center of the bottom of the disposal. You can try turning this socket with an allen wrench or the wrench that comes with the disposal. The unit may also be jammed with something caught between the grinder plate and side. You can try to remove whatever it is. If none of this works it's probably time for an new one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a sinkguard se150 1/3 hp. If I get a new garbage disposal do you have any that you would recommend?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
I don't know who makes sink guard. If you plan on staying in the house for a while (more than 5 or 6 years) I would suggest the least expensive In Sink Erator (ISE) with a stainless steel grinding chamber. I can't give you a model number because the model depends on who you buy it from.

If you don't plan on staying that long then the ISE Badger 5
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey I just wanted to say thanks. Using an allen wrench in the bottom of the disposal unclogged the jam. It was a much simpler fix than I thought.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer