andy-the-plumber
andy-the-plumber, Plumber
Experience:  27 hands on years in the plumbing repair industry
35023322

I have been reading about all the fixes for a squealing shower,

I have been reading about all the fixes for a squealing shower, but I'm not sure that mine is the same. We have a well, and we noticed that the water pressure got REALLY REALLY high all of a sudden. So high that it made the faucet in the shower come on a little and the squealing started. We had switch on our pump replaced, as the specialist said the gauge was reading off the charts and the pressure wasn't regulating. That is fixed, but the squealing is still happening and the only way to relieve it is to turn on the outside faucet, which seems to reduce the pressure and stop the squealing. Any ideas?
Samantha
Tuscaloosa,AL
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  andy-the-plumber replied 4 years ago.
Couple of questions, do you know the manufacturer and the model of the shower valve? Can you tell me the pressure of the water coming into the house? Do you have a pressure regulator? Can you shut down the house water a 100%?

The squealing noise is probably coming from the shower valve but could possibly be from a pipe, faucet or toilet close by.

I believe you can fix the squealing, but sometime it can take a little time and work to get the pertinent questions answered.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,
I have called my husband who is at home, to ask him the make and model, but I am waiting for him to call back.
In the meantime, yes, we can turn off the water 100%, as it's on its own powerbox. I'm not sure what the % or # XXXXX the pressure that's coming from the pump, but when the guys came out to replace the switch, they made sure the gauge was reading "normal". After they left we called them and told them that the squealing noise was still happening, and they guaranteed it wasn't anything wrong with the pump. He told my husband it sounded like it was the divertor?? But you can pull and push on that divertor and the sound doesnt change really.
Not sure about a pressure regulator...is that something on the pump?
Much of the time squealing noise is due to high water pressure. It sounds that he high water pressure loosened something in the valve or closely associated piping. Try turning the water heater valve off and open the hot water on basin same bath to relieve any pressure on the hot water side. If the sound stops then "probably" in the shower valve. I would start by replacing the tub and shower valve cartridge or stems. It would help if I knew what the shower valve is. Hope this will resolve the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He hasnt called back, but I'm attaching a picture of it, if that helps???

The tub and shower valve cartridges or stem....are those something behind the handle and something behind the spigot? Replace both?shower

It seems to us like it's a pressure issue too, because the only way to make it stop is to turn on the outside faucet almost full blast. If the outside faucet is off and the shower is turned on full blast it still squeals.
I'm not sure if the pump switch has anything to do with the pressure and you sent me the picture of the shower head not the valve. I would get a pressure gauge that attaches to your hose bib to double check the pressure. 80# XXXXX XXXXX the code says should be maximum inside the house, If your getting high pressure you could be getting over 100# anything over that I strongly recommend a pressure reducing valve.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help...the picture shows the entire shower...the head the faucet and the handle thingy....my husband didnt see a name on it.

I'm sorry, I should have scrolled down and I would have seen the valve. It looks like a Price and Pfister which can make the squeaking sound you described. Did you turn the hot water off to see if the noise stopped?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not yet...I'll have to do it when I get home....i'm gonna print out the things you suggested and try it out when I get there. I appreciate your help.
If the suggestions I gave you helped please continue with the payment, unless you haven't already done so.
andy-the-plumber, Plumber
Experience: 27 hands on years in the plumbing repair industry