Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I have an Ack-o-matic Gas Boiler 21,000 that came with the

I have an Ack-o-matic Gas Boiler 21,000 that came with the house. I assume it is the original which would make it 41 years old. In the 24 years we have lived here the pilot light has never gone out. It did yesterday and I am trying to re-light it. I can light the pilot light, but as soon as I let the gas cock knob up (after more than 1 minute as per directions) it goes out so that I never have a chance to turn the entire furnance on. Am I doing something wrong or is something broke?

It sounds like you need to replace the thermocouple. The thermocouple is the sensor in the pilot flame that tells the gas valve the pilot is lit and it's OK to keep gas flowing to the pilot.