Rightway Plumbing
Rightway Plumbing, Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber, Owner Right Way Plumbing LLC. 7+ years exp.
31996761

24 yr old single handle Delta shower valve leaking. Better

24 yr old single handle Delta shower valve leaking. Better to repair or replace?

Shower valve started leaking at a rate of about 1 gallon per 4 minutes. Currently, I am turning the water of via the whole house shut off valve. Not an emergency since I live alone and the whole shut off is an easy access ball valve, but I want to resolve.

Should I repair or replace? If replace, what brand(s) and why?
You can try to repair as the repair kit is universal, and costs less than 10 dollars. http://www.masterplumber.net/delta/delta_single.htm Here is a website with step by step instructions on how to rebuild the faucet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is a "ball" and the universal kit. Do I need both?

Usually the universal kit contains a ball. You don't necassarily need to replace the ball in the mixer but it is usually a good idea. Sometimes the ball in a shower mixer is different than the standard ball, so it is usually best to take it apart and take the old one with you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I may have a follow up question.