Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
16029536

I have 2 pvc sump pump discharge pipe that runs out of my

I have 2" pvc sump pump discharge pipe that runs out of my house and extends about 2 feet. The water just pumps out of the house onto the ground. I would like to dig a trench and bury a line that extends into the yard to improve drainage. Should I use the same type of pvc or another kind of flexible drainage line? at the end of the trench I was thinking of digging a 4x6 bed about 1 1/2 feet deep and lining it with 6 inches of gravel. Do you think something like this is a good idea?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 6 years ago.
Yes. You can definitely use schedule 40 pvc pipe to extend out to the drain bed. You could also use the flexible drain pipe. As long as you maintain a downward slope in the line to the drain bed you should be fine. The gravel will be great since it will aid in percolation. If the sump puts out a great deal of water you may want to increase the depth of gravel a bit. Also, just in case you get a great amount of rain, you may want to run a relief drain from the gravel bed in order to drain off overflow from heavy rains. You may also be able to achieve this by digging a drainage swale away from it. Good luck. If this has proved helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is a drainage swale? Im also not sure what a relief drain is. Would that mean to run a pipe from the gravel bed to another gravel bed?
Expert:  Patrick replied 6 years ago.
A drainage swale is nothing more than, in your case, a shallow ditch that would lead to a spot in your yard where water could flow without bothering anything. Think of it this way. If your sump was running a lot and the drain gravel bed was also getting heavy rain added to it, you would want this excess water to be able to go someplace. On the other hand, if you are getting heavy rains your yard is going to be wet everywhere. You really do not need it to drain away. It is just something I like, belts and suspenders. What you want to accomplish is get the water away from the house and the gravel bed will do that. Good luck. If this has proved helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.