Billy, Mechanical Contractor
Experience:  State Licensed Mechanical Contractor

During a power outage can I run my oil fired furnace to heat

During a power outage can I run my oil fired furnace to heat my house even though I cannot run my well pump. (3 zones forced hot water through base boards)
My generator is not 240 so I can't hook it up to my well pump but it runs the furnace ok and it seems like the baseboard heat works just fine without the pump having power.
My concern is that I'll damage the system somehow because new water is not available from the pump if the boiler were to ask for it.

excellent question .

This will not hurt the system at all. The worst case scenario is if the boiler wants water...and it cant get will trip off on low water cut off.

I am not saying it is ideal, but in a pinch it will work. I would however, test low water cutoff each fall as part of the yearly service.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
low water cut off, got it - thanks.
one follow up:
would a side effect of running this way, and before the low water cut off trips, be air in the pipes so I'd hear some sloshing where I didn't before?

Yes, you are correct.