Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects

How much should it cost to install a Reverse osmosis filter

Customer Question

How much should it cost to install a Reverse osmosis filter under my sink? Do they sell ones with 2.5 gallon tanks so there is always water ready to go? This pure filling up the picture and waiting crap is for the birds!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
The GE PXRQ15F reverse osmosis runs about $280.00 for the system. It has a 4 gallon tank and can produce up to 11 gallons per day. You can get less expensive systems with smaller tanks. If you have room to install it with no real issues you could most likely get a plumber to install it for under $400 for labor.The most economical thing would be to do a self install. It is not difficult. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I should mention this is going in a condo where there are only two people who would use it.
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
Copy and paste the following into your address bar. The tank size is 2.5 gallon. This may be more in line with the quantity you are looking for. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you. http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PNRQ21LBN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmm so $400 for the filter and then another $400 for the install. Jeebus this is way more then I thought it would be. What features does that filter have? I mean I see these units at lowes, home depot, etc that are $100 without a tank. but it seems a tank should not be that much should it?

Thanks.
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
No. GE PXRQ15F material cost from Home Depot is $280 for the system. Depending upon the difficulty of access, your sink, drain and counter top, you could say that labor costs should run you roughly $400. This could be up or down a bit based upon your particular situation. Again, if you can follow directions you can self install and save labor costs. You indicated a "reverse omosis system" which is different from a carbon filtration system.
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
The smaller tank unit is more expensive. The site that I provided for GE provides all of the technical specifications for their various reverse osmosis systems. You can spend a whole lot more on other systems.

Edited by Patrick on 2/26/2010 at 3:30 AM EST
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience: 30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You know I guess I have kind of a phobia, because even though I installed two toilets in our condo with no problem. I once installed a different faucet one of those kind that has a hose that allows you to handle the faucet like a hose and move it around the sink.

Anyway even though I shut off the water supply under the sink it turned out that the valve was broken or something and it caused tons of water to leak out on to the floor and even leaked into the neighbors condo below. It set off their fire alarm. The fire department came out and luckily a neighbor (the guy who can do it all, even screw my wife better then I lol) saved the day and showed me that I could turn off the main water supply by the water heater, after it was pretty much too late.

Ever since that occured my dear wife will not trust me to do anything like this and for good reason. How could I be so stupid. So I have sworn off most home repairs now realizing me + diy eaquals f**k up! ;)
Expert:  Patrick replied 4 years ago.
I understand. Things can go wrong. It is always good to know where the main shut off valve is as well as have good isolation valves that work. I believe the real trick is to read the instructions from front to back. Make sure you have all of the parts and work it out on paper first. Good luck with which ever way you go.