service tech72
service tech72, Plumber
Experience:  8 years in plumbing field, certified cross connection device inspector, 3 years experience in hvac
28495982

Riva advance HE M110B.32SM/C Biasi boiler. Making all the right

Customer Question

Riva advance HE M110B.32SM/C Biasi boiler. Making all the right noises, but wont fire up and goes into lock out. Can you help?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  service tech72 replied 4 years ago.
what are you using the boiler for? heat, domestic water? and do you get any flame for a couple of seconds or not?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Sean

Heat and domestic water, but there is no flame only a spark. Runs for 30 seconds to a minute doesn't fire up but goes into lock out. Reset lock out and it does exactly the same.

either the pressure switch is sticking or the fresh air intake pipe or exhaust pipe has a blockage in it, check the pipes first and let me know what you find
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Sean,

The pipes look clear. Is the pressure switch you are talking about the ch pressure relief valve?

ok lets back up, i miss read ur post, if you are getting spark but no flame then either there is not 24 volts to the gas valve or the solenoid valve in the gas valve is bad, do you have a mutli meter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for getting back again so fast. Yes we have a multi meter
can you check for 24 volts at the gas valve when the unit is trying to start, there should be 2 or 3 wires going to the valve, put one lead on one side of the wire and the other on the other wire and see if you got 24 volts there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Getting 13.9 for about a second then it goes back to nought.
is this spark ignition with intermittent pilot
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No there is nothing. Just getting a spark across the electrodes. No flame. should the 24 volts be constant because it just flashes up for a second and goes back to nought.
yes it should be, do you have an ignition control on the unit, it will have about 5 or 6 wires going to it, three of the terminals one will say mv another will say pv and the last will say mv/pv
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not got any of that. Got 24volt transformer and a spark generator.
do you have 24 volts coming out of the transformer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not got 24 volts on transformer and don't appear to have 230/240volts either
so no 24 volts out of the transformer and no 220 volts going to the transformer is that correct? does the spark when it is working correctly light a pilot first then the burners or just the burners?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, my mistake multi meter set wrong we have got 24 volts out of the transformer and the gas valve. The spark goes directly to the burner. Sorry to mess you about!!!
but you only have 24 volts still for a second?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No got 24 volts constant.
ok then the gas valve is bad, the solenoid inside the valve is not opening when it is energized with 24 volts, sorry for the bad news but it will need to be replaced
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all your help any idea how much they are?
gas valves where i work are anywhere from 90 to 160 dollars, and you are welcome, thanks for using just answer.
service tech72, Plumber
Experience: 8 years in plumbing field, certified cross connection device inspector, 3 years experience in hvac
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Once again, thanks for all of your help it is much appreciated. I will click on accept answer now. Let me know how I give feedback when you get time.
i think once you accept it gives you the option to leave feed back
one more thing have you verified that you have gas at the gas valve?