Todd
Todd, Plumber
Experience:  Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.
25342425

My kitchen sink sounds like a machine gun when you turn on

My kitchen sink sounds like a machine gun when you turn on the water-hot or cold (pipes rattling).
Key facts:
*the side mount rinser/sprayer never worked(no pressure when depressed)
I replaced it and it is still inoperable.

*I added a sprayer/rinser accessory to the end of the faucet and it still does it.

*It takes up to 2 minutes for the hot water to arrive at the kitchen sink and we have a very small 3/2 house.
Help,
Machine gun in Alabama
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
Is this a single or 2 handle faucet? Would you happen to know the brand of the faucet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Delta Single handle
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
Are you able to fix the problem right now, if so I will walk you through it. If not I will tell you what you need to do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can fix it right now if you tell me how.
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.

Turn water off to faucet. First you need to take an alien wrench and loosen set screw and remove handle.

You will see the round nut (cap), take a pair of channel locks or small pipe wrench and turn this nut (cap) counter clockwise. If this nut does not come loose easily do not force it. Let me know if it does not come off or does come off.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took the nut (cap) off. Now what do I do?
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
Remove the white cap and there is a ball remove this ball. next pull straight up on the spout and remove it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK , Done
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
Look into the faucet body, you will see 3 holes, the hole closest to you, stick a small screw driver in there, on the front face of the faucet you will see a white or brass piece, from the hole where you put the screw driver you need to pop this piece out. This piece(diverter) is what control your spray, sometime this diverter will plug up with debree, which will restrict your water flow and also cause the spray not to work. Check for debree if no debree you will have replace this part. This part does not have to be reinstalled, if you can not get the part tonight and still need to use faucet, until you pick a new one up. If not installed the spray will work but when use the spray the water will also come out the spout.
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
Did you get it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I poked a SMALL screwdriver into the hole closest to me- there is a small pool of water remaining in the place where i removed the hotcold ball mount control and the diverter is visible but it looks like a small pointed cone with a nylon sleeve, I cannot remove / retrieve it and I do not have the white or brass piece you describe. I DO NOT CARE IF THE SPRAYER DOES NOT WORK. i want to eliminate the machine gun noise.
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
The internal part is shaped like a cone shape. On the front of the faucet you will see the outer part, try and pop it out or break from there. It is round and about 5/8 in diameter. This would be on the opposite side of the 3rd hole in front.

Edited by Todd on 2/13/2010 at 2:45 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I did that , thanks
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
Reinstall the spout , the ball and cap. Make sure when you put the ball back in, there is a slot on the side of the ball that lines up with a pin inside the body of the faucet. Hand tighten the cap down, no need to over tighten it.