Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My kitchen sink faucet sputters and hesitates, sometimes stopping

My kitchen sink faucet sputters and hesitates, sometimes stopping altogether. Works better if aerator is off, but then the attached spray hose doesn't work. It is a single handle faucet and i had replaced the cartridge which did nothing. I had tried several different aerators, but they all make the water flow stop or make a loud water hammer noise. Please help. Thanks!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
If your faucet has a separate rinse hose (not a pullout) then your problem may be due to a faulty diverter. The diverter is what sends the water to the spray hose. It is a separate part from the cartridge.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The spray hose attaches to the faucet body from below and the spray head pulls out of the sink. If it is a diverter, can i buy one and install it myself?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you probably have a diverter issue with this type faucet. The diverter is usually located behind the spout (there are a few exceptions). It's a pretty easy fix and since you have already replaced the cartridge you should be able to replace the diverter. The trick is to find the right one. If you know the brand (& model would help) go to the manufacturer's website and look for a parts list for your faucet. They usually give you an exploded view which will also tell you where the diverter is located.