Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects

I can hear what sounds like water running through the pipes

I can hear what sounds like water running through the pipes in the wetwall between my kitchen and bathroom, as well as in the hot water overflow tank in my heater closet (hot water heat). It sounds the same as when someone is running the shower/faucet/outside hose spigot, but the noise is constant even when we are not using any water. I turned off the main water valve and can still hear the noise. The floor in the bathroom and under the tub is very cold, as well as the tile floor near the wetwall in the kitchen - but the floor near the opposite wall in the kitchen is "normal" temp. I am afraid that a pipe in the wall is leaking and water is collecting/freezing on the ground where the floor feels colder. Please help!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 6 years ago.
Give this a try. Make sure you are not using any water using fixtures in the house or outside. Go out to the water meter and observe if there is any flow going through it. If it shows flow then you have a leak in your system somewhere, if no flow than there is no leak. What you may be hearing is the result of high water pressure on your system. If the city mains pressure is high or fluctuating high it can transmit through your system and cause noise in your piping system. If you have a pressure regulating valve on your incoming water line check it and see if it is working. You can get a water gauge that screws onto an open hose bib and will give you a current reading as well as a peak reading over some time period. Cost is about $10.00 at Home Depot. If you find that the pressure is running high, say over 65 psi, adjust the regulator. If the regulator will not adjust then the diaphragm in it may be bad. If you do not have a regulator you can get one for under $50 for material and install it on the incoming water supply. If you had a leak in the wall there should be evidence of moisture at the floor. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.