Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I also have a Weil-McLain gas-fired boiler-I changed the thermocouple

Customer Question

I also have a Weil-McLain gas-fired boiler-I changed the thermocouple successfully. The boiler will run for a few minutes, then it will turn off, at which point I have to re-light the pilot. PLEASE HELP-we're c-c-c-cold!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
The pilot should not go out when the burner shuts down for whatever reason. This sometimes indicates a dirty pilot burner orifice. You would need to disassemble the pilot burner then run a very fine wire through the orifiice hole to clear it out. It's also possible that you may have a faulty gas control valve but cleaning the pilot orifice is the first thing to try.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I did that also-the opening was CRYSTAL CLEAR-like it was brand new.

Air did flow through without obstruction. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Did you run anything through the orifice hole? You need to do this evenif you can see daylight. But assuming the pilot orifice is ok then you may have a faulty gas control valve. The pilot shoud not go out when the burner shuts down. I'm assuming this is a standing pilot unit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, it is a standing pilot unit-attached to one of the gas tubes.

I cleaned the heck out of that thing and, like I said, installed a new thermocouple. So you think it is the gas control valve? Should I:

1) call the gas co (Laclede Gas) and have them look at it?

or

2) call a local heating & A/C company instead?

Thanks!Laughing

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
I would have more confidence in a local plumbing and heating company (not HVAC) for this type unit. Ask if they service Weil and describe your problem.