Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

We have a 40 gallon GE Smart Water heater that is only 7 years

We have a 40 gallon GE Smart Water heater that is only 7 years old. We are not getting enough hot water. I notice corrision on the dip tube side of the tank, where the connections are. Is it possible the dip tube is broken and causing this and can I buy a new dip tube somewhere to replace?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
If you have turned up the thermostat (on a gas fired heater) as far as possible and you are getting luke warm water after a few minutes then you may have a broken dip tube. Dip tubes are pretty generic you could probably get one at any plumbing supply house or if you bought you heater at Home Depot or Lowes they might have one as well. I don't remember which one carries GE.
If this is an electric water heater you should check the elements and thermostats first before replacing the dip tube.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. So is this something I could do myself? I've read on line how to do it, it doesn't sound like it's hard, following some steps of draining, etc. and then just loosing the top bolt and removing the dip tube. I'm very good at following directions / steps, so can I do it myself and solve the problem?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
The dip tube is connected to the cold water inlet. There is no associated bolt (maybe you mean the anode rod). To replace the dip tube you need to cut the cold water line, back out the adapter into the tank then remove the old broken dip tube and insert the new one. If you don't know how to solder copper tubing (assuming you have copper water piping) then you shopuldn't attempt this repair.