Todd
Todd, Plumber
Experience:  Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.
25342425

We have a State scout 40 gallon hot water heater. Quit working

We have a State scout 40 gallon hot water heater. Quit working a few days ago. ECO was tripped. We changed out thermostat and element. Still no hot water. Power supply is good and it is wired correctly. What else can we check?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Double element and thermosts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Single
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Did you fill the heater completly up with water and bleed all the air out before turning power on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Do have a volt tester
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, we have already tested voltage and ohms. All good!
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
You do have 240 volts to element with power on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
only 122
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Is this a 240 or 120 heater? It will tell you on the front of the heater

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
240
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Ok is the computer by the water heater or close
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Somewhat
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
The first thing to do is go to the top of the thermostat and check voltage , top two wires. And let know what it is
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
122 both sides
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.

put one side of your tester one side of the thermostat and the otherside of your tester on the other side of thermostat, do not go to ground

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
o ac
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Turn power off, take the top 2 wires off thermostat, turn power back on and recheck with wires off thermo

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Touching both wires it registers 70 ac
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Do you see where the power comes into the heater? If so take the cover off and make sure the wires are connect good. We are not getting 240 volts to the heater.

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:31 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Testing two wires going into heater only registers 70 ac
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Can you get your breaker box panel off fairly easy? If so, go to the breaker take the wires off breaker and test the breaker. One side of your tester on one side of the breaker and the other side of the tester on the other side of the breaker.

Edited by Todd on 12/19/2009 at 5:42 AM EST
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Make sure you shut off breaker before taking the wires off the breaker.
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
You also could leave the wires on the breaker and check each side of the breaker to ground.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
243 ac going into the breaker
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.

The problem is the wire from your fuse box to the water heater is bad. You have 240 at breaker and you do not have 240 at heater, with power being disconnected at heater.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it be the breakers? or is it just the wire? I didn't know the wires could go BAD.
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.

If you have the wires disconnected at the breaker, and breaker on, with around 240volts coming out of the breaker . The breaker is good. You are sending 240 out of the breaker it just not 240 volts at the heater. Is the water heater grouned? Do you live in .a house or trailer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mobile Home
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
I have seen mice eat through the wires. If the water heater is not grounded I have seen when a element burns out it also has burnt the wires.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! We will try to replace the wire tomorrow.
Expert:  Todd replied 4 years ago.
Make sure you have a ground. I will leave this question open so if you have any other question on this matter feel free to ask. Have a great hoilday
Todd, Plumber
Experience: Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.