Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects

i have an old Warm Manning gas heater. How do I light the pilot

i have an old Warm Manning gas heater. How do I light the pilot light without me, a novice, getting injured? Thanks
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 6 years ago.
To light the pilot you hold down on valve for a minute while holding a flame from a long lighter at the pilot orifice. You hold down on the valve for this minute while it is lit and then let go. The flame should stay lit. If the flame should go out then you have a bad thermocouple. If the pilot stays lit but it is a weak flame you may need to clean the pilot orifice. This is the very small hole that the gas comes through that supplies the pilot light. It can get closed up some from soot or carbon build up. If you have compressed air to blow it out that would be good. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, contact a qualified technician. Good luck. If this proved helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.