Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

When I drain my tub, I hear gurgling sounds coming from under

When I drain my tub, I hear gurgling sounds coming from under my toilet. And tonight the bathroom sink drain was gurgling, other times I could have sworn I heard it gurgling under the washing machine (in the room next door). What is causing it and is it serious?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
The noise you are describing is usually caused by inadequate venting of the drainline in question. It is not serious although it can be annoying.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, a little more info here for you and then another question on this: The noise under the toilet started over 6 months ago and I've noticed it's gradually getting worse and then, as I said, the noise coming from the sink is new. There is no water coming up through the toilet and sink (thank you God). The tub drains ok but has gotten slower to drain. So if I called in someone to "fix it" what would they probably end up doing? Also what can cause the venting to slowly get inadequate in the first place?
Thank you for you help, I'd like to be armed with as much as info as possible if I do have to call someone in.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
If you have a septic tank and it hasn't been pumped in several years then you should start by calling a septic service to get the tank pumped. Beyond that all you can do is describe your problem to a plumber and mention that you were told it might be a venting issue. What needs to be done can only be determined by an onsite inspection. The venting may have always been inadequate and a partial stoppage may have made things worse. Be sure to mention the slow drain(s)

Edited by Rick the plumber on 11/14/2009 at 4:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One last question or two then I'm happy with your answers. I'm in a mobile home park with a group septic system. I can ask others if they're experiencing any problems. Would a "partial stoppage" be caused by something going down the toilet or sink/tub that shouldn't have? Is that where the venting is? Thanks again.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Depending on where you are in relation to the tank (and your neighbors) your problems could be worse than your neighbors. The home closest to the tank will likely have the worst symptoms if the tank needs to be pumped. If you are in a mobile home nothing much can be down about vent piping given the nature of a manufactured home. It's more likely that there is a (partial?) stoppage that is causing your problem.