Johnriba, Service Technician
Experience:  5 years as a medical gas installer with an ASSE6010 certificate.

my shower/tub diverter is very sticky--I can get it to open

my shower/tub diverter is very sticky--I can get it to open and close with some force but I'm having houseguests soon and don't want them to have to struggle with it. I also don't want to pay a plumber $150 to come and fix it in 5 minutes. I have tried spraying it many times with WD 40--any suggestions for another lubricant or oil that might work (and available in Canada) before I bite the bullet and call in a plumber?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Johnriba replied 7 years ago.
what kind of diverter is it?? one in the end of the tub fill spout or one that is by itself above the fill spout mount into the tub surface??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it's on it's own above the tub spout. Thank you.
Expert:  Johnriba replied 7 years ago.
Then the problem is must likely hair in the drain or mineral build up around the plunger the stops the flow of water out the drain when you engage it. So a spray lubricant isn't going to help. My recommendation it to get the diverter to engage so the tub will fill with water and pour some cleaner that gets rid of rust and lime scale like "LCR' or "Limeaway" if this doesn't work then try some drain cleaner to clean any hair that could be clogging it. I don't believe a new diverter is in order here but a good cleaning may be necessary and that may require disassembling the drain of the tub.